General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elp!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 May 2016 10:57

Can anyone help me please.

Last night I couldn't close down my laptop for some reason.

I woke up to find that Windows 10 had downloaded automatically! :-|

No problems so far :-D..............except my tool bar is missing from the top of the page.

I am squinting over here because I can't go into view to change the setting to enlarge the font. :-S

Prickles. :-\

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 20 May 2016 11:08

Prickles - do you have 3 little dots on the top toolbar - this will take you into settings.

Mine downloaded automatically too, a couple of days ago! It seems OK, once I'd fiddled around with it to get Favourites etc.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 May 2016 11:11

I could kiss you Sheila..

Thank you very much!!!

:-D <3 :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 May 2016 11:17

same thing happened to me last night - how sneaky!!! anyway, I declined and now I'm back to where I was

kandj

kandj Report 20 May 2016 15:44

I also keep deleting the offer to have free installation of Windows 10. I just don't need
and wouldn't use what they are offering. I have kept deleting the offer for months and
hate the idea of having this Windows 10 installed overnight when I just DON'T want it!!
A blooming cheek!!!

Lee

Lee Report 20 May 2016 16:43

Yep mine downloaded very early this morning after months of me refusing entry to Windows 10 it went through on a automatic basis much to my annoyance, but after a couple of hours of fiddling it doesn't seem to bad but its still a bloody cheek downloading automatically.

kandj

kandj Report 20 May 2016 16:55

Agree Lee. Why are they doing this against people's wishes??????

Annx

Annx Report 20 May 2016 17:25

It happened to me to a few days ago after me leaving the laptop on in another room. It seemed ok but the next day no internet and no desktop icons. I ended up phoning the tech support I subscribe to and they had trouble as they said it had corrupted some of my windows files. In the end I asked them to restore me back to windows 8.1 which they did. BUT it then started downloading windows 10 again!!! I had to phone tech support again and they have now got rid of it altogether!!!

Allan

Allan Report 20 May 2016 22:30

I have Windows 10 on my laptop (my choice) but not on my PC which runs Widows 7, and which will shortly be de-commissioned.

I normally shut my computers right down, even unplugging my PC from the wall. Windows 10 has tried to load, but I've always prevented it :-D

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 20 May 2016 22:42

My windows 10 started downloading itself whilst i was on Facebook.. it just appeared on the screen and there was nothing i could do..

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 21 May 2016 11:18

I am still wavering as to whether to upgrade, but I have changed my windows updates to 'ask me first' or whatever it is. With my previous setting of 'automatically install recommended updates' Windows 10 will install automatically, as microsoft have changed Windows 10 to a recommended update. Sly or what lol.

kandj

kandj Report 21 May 2016 11:26

I agree that is very sly Lindi. How can I change my windows setting to the same option as you so that my laptop won't automatically install Windows 10 even though
I delete their ongoing offers to have this installed. I really am not interested in this.

I am like Allan and close down the laptop and unplug this from the power, but I am now getting anxious when so many others have had Windows 10 without permission.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 21 May 2016 11:32

Go into control panel and click on the windows update icon. Change settings is on the left

kandj

kandj Report 21 May 2016 11:37

stupid question but where do I find the control panel please?

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 21 May 2016 11:48

I just click on my start menu and it comes up in the list.

kandj

kandj Report 21 May 2016 12:03

Thanks Lindsi