General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My dishcloths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 May 2016 11:45

To get through my dark time, rather than find something to pick, I knitted dishcloths, oh so many dishcloths.

Because I as much more than adequately supplied with these very useful pieces of kit I took some to the village lunch last year and distribute them to the other, very bemused people there.

It was a bit of a blast from the past for many of them because they buy disposables but they took them because they remembered knitting them themselves, at the appropriate age.

Yesterday I had two people tell me how they are still using theirs and how good they are. One lady wants another AND one for her friend. Well, what a charming gift!

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 May 2016 11:57

Can't beat a good knitted dishcloth :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 May 2016 11:59

Nor, indeed, can you get one anymore.

They last so well, through boiling and bleaching and they don't even take long to make.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 May 2016 12:33

I've probably said this on here before, but a long while ago I bought a dusty old box of 'rug wools etc' at an auction and in the middle of the roll of dish cloth yarn that was in it was a roll of money :-) I knitted the dish cloth up as tribute lol. Lasted well and the money paid the mortgage for a year.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 May 2016 13:03

I will look very carefully in each ball of dishcloth wool in future.

The wife of a an old cowman died, after he did,and the family were left to sort out the house.She had never had much and was very careful of what she spent. If I got a bit of shopping for her I would forget how much it had cost or forget to pick up the money she paid me for it.

This was thirty years ago and, when the family started clearing, they found unopened pay packets, fiver pushed between folded sheets in drawers, bit of money here and there to the tune of £25,000.

Her daughter -in-law said they looked like the great train robbers counting out their loot and it was so much it had to go to probate.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 May 2016 00:24

I've done a lot of knitting in my life - mainly in my 'youff' (what an interesting youth I led), but have never knitted a dishcloth!!

I found the Icelandic cardigan I knitted 40 years ago - but never wore as it was far too big (the jumper I knitted from the same pattern fitted me, but the cardigan - no).
The cardigan now fits me :-D and :-(.
I also found the golly, and the 'orange' dolly I knitted for my children out of Shetland wool, as I wasn't going to be dictated to :-D :-D (also a good way to use up spare wool. They'd have been green if that was what I had left) :-D :-D

Toys knitted out of Shetland wool stretch when they're washed - I bet you didn't know that! :-D
The orange doll stretched a good foot :-D :-D :-D