General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Son of R

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alec

Alec Report 20 May 2016 12:38

Whilst looking for a relative in the 1861 census I saw 'Son of R' opposite the line Relationship to Head of Householder. I have not come across this before could someone explain this please. Alec Swann :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 May 2016 12:45

Might be easier if we could look at the image? Is there a name beginning with R? eg could he have been the son of one of the parents before their marriage?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 May 2016 14:31

Could it be Geo. Bown?

There is a servant in the household by the name of Rice/Richard Bown, surname mistranscribed as Cripps (the name of head). This servant seems to be married to Ann Bown, housekeeper, and there are 2 children listed as son and daughter of R. Bown, Geo, 3 and Emily 5 months.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 May 2016 14:39

This looks like the family MargaretM has found:-

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Murry Road, Huntspill, Bridgwater, Somerset, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

Gabriel Cripps Head Unmarried Male 65 1796 Retired Farmer Huntspill, Somerset, England
Ricd Bown Servant Married Male 29 1832 General Servant Middlezoy, Somerset, England
Ann Bown Servant Unmarried Female 44 1817 House Keeper Chilton Polden, Somerset, England
Joanna Padden Servant Unmarried Female 28 1833 Under Servant Huntspill, Somerset, England
Geo Bown Son Unmarried Male 3 1858 - Huntspill, Somerset, England<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Emily Bown Daughter Unmarried Female 0 1861 - Huntspill, Somerset, England
Grace Fear Visitor Widow Female 48 1813 - Wedmore, Somerset, England

It says on the image that Geo. Bown aged 3 is the Son of R. Bown (which will be the Richard Bown, a servant in the household. Baby Emily is also his daughter).

I think the enumerator is just making clear that the children are the son and daughter of the servant and NOT son and daughter to the head of household.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 May 2016 14:59

Just a little correction, on the original the housekeeper Ann Bown is married, presumably the wife of Richard.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 May 2016 15:20

Looks like you are right Margaret, although Richard's age has jumped a bit in the 1871 census and Ann's has jumped a bit the other way:-

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Withy Road, Huntspill, Bridgwater, Somerset, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place

Richard Bown Head - Male 43 1828 - Somerset, England
Ann Bown Wife - Female 50 1821 - Somerset, England
George Bown Son - Male 13 1858 - Somerset, England
Emily Bown Daughter - Female 9 1862 - Somerset, England
Mary Stone Servant - Female 18 1853 - Somerset, England

Kath. x

Alec

Alec Report 21 May 2016 12:23

Hi Kathleen,and Margaret also Rambling Rose I apologise for not getting back sooner, thank you all for answering my query your help has helped me get back on track. Thank you all. Alec x??

Alec

Alec Report 23 May 2016 15:39

Hi Kathleen,and Margaret also Rambling Rose I apologise for not getting back sooner, thank you all for answering my query your help has helped me get back on track. Thank you all. Alec x??