General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't do that now unless I've gone wrong.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 20 May 2016 19:30

I had £150 in £2:00 coins, went to bank to change it for AUD and they only do it online, thought I would get a better deal at the post office but they have minimum order of £400, didn't want that much but thought hay ho use it or lose it the post office that is however I won't do that again so lose it I will.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 May 2016 23:21

You might have misread that - the PO website says that you'd "get a better rate if you order £400 or more." We've ordered less than that from them on line. The recorded delivery arrived the next day.

One can understand if the bank has to order it in; after all, the most common currency we Brits would buy would be Euros. Strange they wouldn't do that for you. In the past Nationwide would only sell on-line. The Branch said it was because technically they are a building society.

Have you tried travel agents or even bureau de change in supermarkets? They also might need to order it in.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 May 2016 00:41

we'd take coins to a currency exchange ...... I turn in foreign coins to them and get Canadian money back.

Banks won't accept foreign coins, only foreign notes.

In a city like the one where I live, a currency exchange would also give me foreign money either for Canadian coins or foreign money.

The currency exchanges also often give better exchange rates than the banks as they work on daily rates, the banks work on a weekly rate.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 22 May 2016 20:00

Currency exchanges are the first places to try. (Banks, etc. & supermarkets next. And airports the last......)

I am in the London area and there are a number of exchange operatives. The one I normally use is Thomas Exchange Global Ltd. They have quite a few shops around 'town'.

www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 May 2016 20:35

Inky ......

Vancouver Airport in Canada has a strict policy that everything there operate at "high street" prices.

It makes one heck of a difference if you are going through that one ............... coffee, food, beer etc all at "normal" prices, not extortionate.

The same applies to services such as the Currency Exchange .......... so I would put that one above going to the bank outlet in the same airport.

I found it nice to be gouged :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 22 May 2016 21:41

I brought about £1000 worth of Swiss francs home, and as I was due to go to France shortly after, tried to change them directly into euros. Would they heck as like. First change them back to sterling, then into euros they said. Well they would, wouldn't they, with all that commission. It took them to France and changed them there.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 May 2016 22:09

good for you, Bob!!

You should have tried the currency exchange though :-)