General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone had

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 May 2016 21:36

thrush in the mouth and throat. I was diagnosed with this today and it is very painful. The doctor prescribed Fluconazole 1 per day for 7 days. I was happy with this until picked them up and the pharmacist said they could cause sickness and nausea. Now I am in a panic as I suffer from chronic nausea anyway and when this occurs I taked Omeprozole. I have not plucked up the courage to take the first tablet for fear of this happening. Has anyone had this complaint and taken Fluconazole and if so what reaction, if any, did you have ? Thanks for reading.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 20 May 2016 21:49

I have a friend who suggested Vitamin E....don't know if mine is thrush,but have had soreness like cold sores at side of mouth.
Maybe you are lacking some vitamin..
I have had one a day for the past week and they seem to have cleared up.
I also take a Vit C at night.Maybe this will help...don't think it will do any harm.
Maybe worth a try!

Margaret

Margaret Report 20 May 2016 21:57

Thank you for your reply. The oral thrush I have is like a white coating all along the tongue, roof of mouth and down the throat making swallowing difficult and uncomfortable/painful. I will certainly try Vitamin E - it may not cure but it won't do any harm either.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 20 May 2016 22:00

I have had it and it is very painful. Your GP would not have prescribed them to you as he / she would know of your other condition. <3

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 May 2016 22:05

you are not also using Seretide? inhalers
overdosing on that can cause thrush symptoms....

omeprazole in my case is anti -reflux

for me,much better than G-----Scon and 4 times cheaper is Peptac peppermint liquid

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 May 2016 23:05

Fairly certain I've had Fluconazole with had no adverse reactions. It is possible to have a one-dose tablet - possibly 150mg - which might be a better option for you. On the other hand, if your GP was aware of the side effects and your nausea, he may have felt you'd tolerate several smaller doses rather than one big 'hit'.

Fluconazole can be bought over-the counter as a generic alternative to the trademarked Canesten. Alert pharmacy assistants will only sell it if they believe it is to be used by a woman of child bearing years; its usually taken by females with genital thrush.

Without wishing to alarm you, thrush can be a symptom of diabetes. If it reoccurs, you should see your doctor rather than self-medicate just so that he can make an appropriate judgement.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 21 May 2016 09:22

Natural Bio-yoghurt is used for thrush in other areas ;-) so swallowing spoonfuls of this could be soothing.
Pineapple juice or fresh pineapple is good for sore mouths and acts as a 'cleanser'.

You might be one of the people who have no reaction to this medication, and If you suffer from nausea anyway you might not notice any difference. If you didn't have chronic nausea and the pharmacist had given you this information you would probably risked the side effect for a cure. Did you ask pharmacist if you could still take your omeprazole? If not might be worth either going back or phoning them to explain your reservations and they can hopefully advise or reassure you.

Hope you feel better soon xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 May 2016 09:47

Hubby had it after he came home from the hospital .

As he was having problems with vomiting he was prescribed an oral dose three times a day dribbled onto his tongue so the saliva could pass it around his mouth

it did help get in under some control

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 May 2016 14:03

Thank you all for your replies. I had a dreadful night - virtually little sleep as I started having chest pains which of course alarmed me. However it has not happened again and I have taken the bull by the horns and taken the first of the 7 tablets. I do feel 'rough' and my stomach a bit 'jittery' so am hoping I get away with little or no side effects. I have been trying to read up about what causes oral thrush and anything you can do at home to ease it. Apparently we all have this in our mouths but it is when it starts to grow out of control that the trouble starts and this usually happens when the immune system is flagging. This could be the case with me as I have had an awful year health-=wise since January !! I also read somewhere that pro-biotics could help and I am off out to buy some. I will try anything. I sound like a right wimp but I would never have imagined that this could be so painful - even tryhing to swallow saliva hurts !! Thank you all again for your replies. I have taken the info on board.

martynsue

martynsue Report 21 May 2016 17:20

i had this it is such a pain ,you can buy daktarin oral gel from the chemist {cheaper than a prescription},also yoghurt with live cultures in it,a good mouth wash will help also it keeps it under control and hopefully the others will get rid of it,
it can be a long process,keep the yoghurt on the tongue for as long as possible also the gel as to kill the thrush you need a long contact with the area.

the yogurt is very soothing on the tongue.

sue

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 22 May 2016 21:50

I knew a woman who had had a cockatoo in hers. Oops, RR'd again?

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 May 2016 00:39

I know somebody who got Thrush in their ear

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 May 2016 09:13

Have you asked your doc whether it is exacerbated by too much vitamin B?

That's what I've heard.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 May 2016 10:16

:-D :-D :-D. Bob

ann

ann Report 9 Jun 2016 22:39

I had a biopsy and it came back as thrush in my throat. the consultant told me just to drink plenty of water and I did. after a short time it cleared up. that was 2 years ago and thank God its never come back

Linda

Linda Report 9 Jun 2016 23:03

I got thrush in the mouth while I was in hospital and a nurse told me that the best for it was bio-yoghurt I found it worked for me

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 13 Jun 2016 18:15

I was told by my GP that my inhalators are the cause of the thrush I get if I do not rinse my mouth after using them.
He prescribes Nystatin oral drops that I have to use 4 times a day when necessary.