General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Now I know I am losing it

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 May 2016 15:00

I have been looking at an 1895 OS map of my area. The initials LB are on an inland area so I knew it didn't signify a lifeboat but could I think what it did mean? Could I fly to the moon?!

After thinking about the place in great detail, that bit where the post box was moved across the road because the corner is dangerous, I couldn't think what it might be.

Of course, it couldn't possibly be letter box could it?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 May 2016 15:20

Clever girl Sharron! You're spot on.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/resources/maps-and-geographic-resources/map-abbreviations.html#l

Unless it's a London Borough that's gone walkabout! ;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 May 2016 16:51

yes, it's Letter Box.

Think, for all but a few the post was the only means of distance communication at the time and the locations of Letter Boxes crucial. Post Offices P.O. will also be frequently found.

That being said the majority in 1895 ( as in 1995 ) would not have been able to read an OS map. By 1995 they could at least afford one.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 May 2016 17:01

And those people who could not read OS maps, would they have been able to write letters?

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 23 May 2016 19:57

Some of us have a written qualification in map reading, written and practical. Army Certificate of Education, 1st class. A few years ago, after taking a wrong turn-off from the M5, my grandson said "you're lost granddad",To which I replied "I am not lost, I just don't know where I am"

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 May 2016 20:57

But could you find a letter box?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 24 May 2016 12:06

P.H. is an important one!!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 May 2016 12:22

I wouldn't have had to think twice about that one!

McAlp

McAlp Report 24 May 2016 16:05

My sort of place Bob :-D :-D
Public House.

McAlp

McAlp Report 25 May 2016 12:55

Sorry, Sharron I seem to have killed your thread :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 May 2016 13:17

They have probably all gone off to the PH.

McAlp

McAlp Report 25 May 2016 17:36

I should know better :-)
Nobody knows me now but I have been a member since 2003.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 May 2016 12:27

So just think what you can get away with then!