General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wet weekend

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 13 Jun 2016 20:34

I have just had a weekend camping in Devon, and it hardly stopped raining. However, on returning home there was a cheque for £100 from a premium bond about 40 years old. I only have 36 quids-worth, all from the mid-seventies, and have so far had three wins, now totalling £200.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 13 Jun 2016 21:34

You could put it away for a rainy day :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Jun 2016 08:50

What an inspiration you are Bob - so patient :-D

Almost every week for nearly three years after my first child was born in the early-1970s, I bought one premium bond, half in his name and half in mine. At that time one could buy single bonds, after which I think the minimum purchase was £5-worth. I only stopped buying them when we moved house.

When he left home I gave him his share. None of the bonds had been winners at that time.

I cashed mine in around 2000, disgruntled that in almost 30 years I had won zilch. I am not sure whether my son still has his but when I told him I'd cashed mine in, he said he was holding onto his.

If only I'd been as patient as you, Bob ... ;-)

But wait, there is an upside.

When we moved back to the same town, I made a bulk purchase and within a year I'd won a small amount several times . Encouraged, I made another bulk purchase and ..... have won nothing since. :-D

Thinking of cashing them in now. If only I were as patient as you, Bob. :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Jun 2016 09:08

Bob - thanks for spending your money in Devon. No charge for the rain. We could do with a few more visitors to this beautiful county.

'Do It For Devon'. ;-)