General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Am I?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 21 Jun 2016 23:21

Whilst clearing up my filing cabinet I came across my old UK Passport which had my Entry Visa for Australia.

We arrived here on 20th June 1982.

I was then 34. Obviously I'm now 68 so I have now spent the first half of my life in England and the second half in Australia.

We took out Australian Citizenship in 1984 and have never been back to the UK since entering OZ

I still feel English, but of course all my memories of the country are from 34 years ago.

Am I an Australian, or still a Pom? :-S :-S

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Jun 2016 23:22

You can take the boy out of Pom land
But not the Pom out the boy hun x :-D :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 21 Jun 2016 23:30

Your a POMALIAN Allan!:-D

Allan

Allan Report 21 Jun 2016 23:35

JBA :-D :-D :-D

Jem, you make me sound like a hybrid fruit :-| :-D :-D :-D

Huia

Huia Report 21 Jun 2016 23:37

Or a strange sort of dog, Allan.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 21 Jun 2016 23:37

I was thinking more along the lines of a designer dog

With a wet nose and bred not to moult! ;-) :-D

Allan

Allan Report 21 Jun 2016 23:42

Until a week ago I would have said that I couldn't moult as I was clean shaven with a bald head.

I am now sporting a beard and some fuzzy hair :-D :-D :-D

As I posted on an earlier thread, the beard is salt and pepper, although tending more to salt.

My OH says that I look like an old goat :-|

I do hope that she is talking about my appearance and not referring to my personal habits :-D :-D :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 21 Jun 2016 23:53

:-D :-D :-D

Now don't go brining those nuns into it again Allan! :-0

Allan

Allan Report 21 Jun 2016 23:55

I cant help being a cross-dresser, which I do religiously each day ;-) :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 21 Jun 2016 23:56

You're a Pozzie!

I'm a Scozzie....... born in Scotland, I've been in Australia since 1963.

:-D

Allan

Allan Report 22 Jun 2016 00:15

:-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Jun 2016 12:49

Ask yourself this.

In what ways has the sub continent of Australia been improved since Captain Cook landed at Botany Bay compared to the land remaining in the control of the indigenous inhabitants?

You have already discovered that it is a long trail home.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Jun 2016 13:06

Rollo, you are naughty.

Stop stirring and behave yourself. :-D ;-)

I know that you'll be aware that after spreading from Asia when lands were joined the people you've called indigenous found that they could not get home when the southern land they'd trailed into became surrounded by water.. :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Jun 2016 13:42

well much the same applies to the indigenous Brits who arrived via the land bridge (*) about 8000 years ago and then couldn't make it back on account of the rushing waters.

An interesting DNA study of skeletons from Cheddar Gorge / Wookey Hole in Somerset found that more than half of today's residents of the area have DNA in common. In what ways have the British Isles been improved by the indig. peoples since they were cut off from the rest of Europe?

"Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of being and ideal grace. I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light. I love thee freely, as men strive for right."
E.B.

(*) Dover-Calais

Annx

Annx Report 22 Jun 2016 14:01

Whatever you are now Allan, add a few more years and you will be more 'ALIAN' than 'POM.'

I remember my OH's beard going through similar colour changes. During the transition he asked me once what his beard reminded me of, no doubt expecting replies like 'mature, wise, distinguished'. My answer was 'TABBY'. :-) :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Jun 2016 14:03

Rollo, we are all mongrels of sorts. :-D :-D :-D

Truly delightful words by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Some poems are more easily remembered than others. When we were young we learned lots of poetry from our Dad while we were waiting for meals to be served. In the same way he taught us geography and as we got older the talk and quizzes turned to politics. :-D

Amazingly, I thoroughly enjoyed my childhood. :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 22 Jun 2016 19:50

Think not to grow a beard is to acquire wisdom.
If a beard were all, a goat might speak.

Allan

Allan Report 22 Jun 2016 22:35

I wonder if Rollo has a beard? :-D :-D :-D