General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The EU we have voted to leave.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jun 2016 12:04

It is not the one we voted to join is it?

As I recall, and I may be wrong because I was only in my early twenties and nor really paying attention at the time, we had to have several attempts at joining in the first place because we needed to be approved by the other nations, (were there six?) and probably had a probation period.

It was kind of strong and exclusive and planned to stay that way.

Over the years it has grown and I am not sure that all those other countries needed to try as hard as we did to be accepted.

Maybe, what we are leaving is the dream we thought we had.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jun 2016 12:33

coo Sharron - whatever did you say :-S

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Jun 2016 12:38

What happened to the freedom of speech :-| :-| :-| :-|

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Jun 2016 12:40

What did she say that woke the RR up, and whatever it was yes freedom of speech please.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 Jun 2016 12:43

I saw nothing said to upset anyone.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Jun 2016 12:56

Emma it probably upset the lot on here wanting to stay in :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jun 2016 12:58

I said that I was only in my early twenties and not really paying attention properly when we voted to join the EU which was, I think, only six countries which constituted a strong and elite trading force.

They had not really wanted us and we had had to make several applications to join but now it is a huge affair with countries in it that had not had to do anything like as much as we had to prove worthiness for membership.

It was something like that and I didn't think it was particularly offensive.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Jun 2016 12:59

Nothing offensive at all Sharron, you have the right to make your point as I said free speech has gone out of the window :-|. Now if I put my comments up here about the EU I would be RR'd for sure

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jun 2016 13:01

Of course it might not be the same EU but we are also not the same UK.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Jun 2016 13:16

Wasnt it the -- called Common Market then?==cheap butter.
didnt the then new 50p pence carry the emblems.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jun 2016 13:25

Was it still the Common Market when we joined?

I remember there being gluts of things like butter and milk and we thought it was just teething troubles.

A ring of hands on the fifty pence piece as I recall, that was something to do with Europe.

Allan

Allan Report 24 Jun 2016 13:33

Ah, yes!

The butter 'mountains' which were then sold to Russia for about 5p per pound

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jun 2016 13:46

That's right, they were weren't they?

Did they get a lot of grain at a knock down price as well ?

Allan

Allan Report 24 Jun 2016 13:53

Probably, Sharron.

The 'mountains' and 'lakes' were part of a process of maintaining prices in the Common Market by storing surplus products, which were later sold dirt cheap to Non-Common Market countries.

I believe that subsidies were also paid to efficient farmers NOT to produce some goods so that inefficient farmers could be artificially propped up

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jun 2016 14:16

Yes, I wasn't really paying attention at the time, believing what I read in the paper.

The supermarkets have gained a lot of power over our farmland through all that I think. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 24 Jun 2016 15:07

I think what we joined initially was the E.E.C. "The Economic European Commumity" a group of 6? countries at that time - as has been said they did not want us then and we fought hard to get in :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Jun 2016 15:34

Rollo would say, in fact he probably has, that the back ground intent was for an 'ever closer union'. Like you, I was young and took things at face value. I voted for an economic union...free trade & all that....not a political one with common social & financial policies.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jun 2016 04:21

well, GR obviously didn't believe the RR'er .............thank goodness!!!