General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I float an idea?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2016 14:03

Amended

I don't know what you think of this but I went to Hove yesterday and have decided I can't do towns yet, too much to panic about, so, sadly I won't be able to go to Wend's funeral.

However, I know she donated some of her collection to MacMillan and I saw their advertizement on the television the other night and have thought about this spoken to OH.
(Sorry, that is wrong, Wend did not give to McM but to the Martlets Hospice. This campaign has been organized by McM.)

There is a campaign called 'Brave the Shave' in which you hve your hair shaved off in the name of charity and to raise sponsorship.

I think I would be willing to do this.

Would anybody be willing to sponsor me if I did? I think it would be a fitting memorial to Wend as long as you don't expect me to do it every time one of our number passes on!

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Jul 2016 15:00

Very personal choice. I would never say you should or shouldn't. I personally feel there are better ways maybe? Like the coffee morning or similar?

Inevitably people will 'look' and then inevitably they will comment and ask if YOU have cancer, then you're explaining the 'why' to strangers. That might not be what you want or feel comfortable with?

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2016 15:12

I don't go out of the village much but I think I can handle people asking because I would be able to tell them what it is about and, maybe, extract a couple of bob from them for the cause.

In the past, I have done kissagrams which were not in a good cause so, I think I might be able to do this and leave the coffee mornings to those whose forte is coffee mornings.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jul 2016 15:30

Sharron, if you really feel comfortable with doing it I am sure you would get sponsors. Best to do it this time of year rather than in the winter. How does your OH feel about it?

If you are doing it because you feel guilty about not going to Wend's funeral, I am sure that she would understand.that you are unable to cope with it yet.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 5 Jul 2016 15:42

If you do decide to do it Sharron count me in for a donation but please think about it very carefully first.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2016 16:04

This campaign is organized by MacMillan themselves for next month (when it is warm) and I would hope there would be others doing it in different places.

It is only hair, after all, and it grows back (I hope!) in about six weeks and it is not very long anyway.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jul 2016 17:39

If you are sure put me down for a donation.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jul 2016 18:38

If McMillan set up a sponsorship website/page thingy, add yourself to that. That way tax payers can gift aid their donation.

Post the link here.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2016 18:55

I might have to ask you to do that.

Huia

Huia Report 5 Jul 2016 22:16

About 3 or 4 years ago I decided to have my hair cut off to raise funds for Hospice. I was told a #1 cut was better than shaving. Part of my reason for doing it was to show people that it is no big thing for a woman (well, some women anyway) to have a near-bald head. I was perfectly happy wandering around our large town with a near-bald head.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2016 22:38

Well done you.

Like I have said, it;s only hair.

I don't know if I want to be shiny for a few days or not.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Jul 2016 00:00

Sharron, I think it's a brave thing to do but if you feel comfortable with it and your o.h. is supportive, then follow your gut feeling. I am sure Wendy would smile at the idea. I will donate if you go ahead but do think hard before you go ahead.

Lizxx