General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thunder Storms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Aug 2016 11:51

We had the most incredible storm last night. It woke me up and because the lightning was so bright (we have a skylight) I got up to watch.

At first it was a few miles away, out at sea, and then got nearer until there was one huge crash/flash at the same time, right overhead. All this with torrential rain, but, surprisingly, not much wind.

OH is away, sailing, so I hope it missed him, but fortunately I don't mind storms.

This morning I was checking for damage, but our new (secondhand) chimney pots are all intact and so, I think, are all the nearby trees.

It was moving NE, up the Clyde, so others may have had it -- GlasgowLass, perhaps?

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Aug 2016 12:00

Not aware of a thunderstorm last night Andysmum
I was dead to the world though!

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Aug 2016 12:02

Are you by the sea? I love watching them on the sea and have been known to park down by the beach to watch it flash over the Isle of Wight.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Aug 2016 12:25

As good as. We are on the north shore of The Firth of Clyde and far enough west to have a superb view straight down (south) over the top of The Isle of Bute to the mountains of Arran. On my left (east) is Gourock, with the Cloch Light and on my right (west) are Dunoon and The Holy Loch (where the US submarines had a base until about 25 years ago.)

If you have a decent road map you can work out where I am. Unfortunately Google Earth only faces inland! :-(