General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

member activity

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

colin

colin Report 3 Aug 2016 14:08

can you see when a member was last active ?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Aug 2016 14:20

no, you cannot
GR is an army of the dead

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Aug 2016 15:29

Have you sent someone a message? You can check if its been read by looking in your Sent Message box. Unread messages have an envelope icon next to them.

Do bear in mind that they may by away on holiday.

As Rollo says, there is no way ordinary members can see when someone has last accessed the site. Many people allow their subs to lapse then don't bother to reply to linked messages.
Others have changed their email address and not taken the time to update their GR account. Still more have sadly died or are too ill/infirm to access the internet.
Its unfortunate for us that GR never removes a dormant account, but on the other hand, some members do return after a break.

As a rule of thumb, the larger the membership number, the more recently they've joined.

colin

colin Report 3 Aug 2016 15:34

thankyou for your help......i am nwe to this site and i posted the question because i found someone with the people i am looking for on their tree....i have asked to contact that person but it occurred to me that i had no way of knowing whether they were still active on this site or even checking mails.....

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Aug 2016 15:56

You can check whether your message has been read, as DetEcTive says above, but you have no way of knowing if they will bother to reply.

One tip - don't use the automated messages suggested by GR. They are abrupt and uninformative and many people ignore them. Always write a personal message saying how you think you are connected, with a couple of names/dates/relationships. If the person is still active, you are far more likely to get a reply.

Good luck!! :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Aug 2016 19:44

if it is of any help to you it is possible to work out the content of most member trees by using the search all member trees function so long as you have some sort of certain angle on the tree in the first place. This can be done regardless of whether the tree owner is a current member or not, whether the tree is shared or not and if the tree owner has declared living rellies private or not.

Not everybody agrees that this is a good thing so I omit the workings except to say it is easy.