General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This beggars belief!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Aug 2016 18:30

I've just had to call the contractors who are repainting the fascias on behalf of the Council.
I left my side gate unlocked for them to get around the back.
When I came home (about 5:45), there was a folded up ladder on the side garden and a pile of stuff, paint pots, white spirit, a zipped up bag etc behind the hedge in the front garden.
I assumed the bloke crouched by the stuff in the front garden was picking it up - and would pick the ladder up too.
No. They drove off.

Call me pernickety if you like, but even I don't leave ladders 'loose' in my garden - nice and handy for a burglar, neither do I leave white spirit where a stray match can catch it alight, or nefarious youth can 'nick' it!
Worst case scenario - ladder used to reach open window, white spirit thrown in window, followed by match!
As for the contents of the sealed holdall - it could be anything - and why should I be responsible for their possessions?

I had to chortle though when my neighbours from hell tutted at it as they went in.
They probably think I've left it there!!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Aug 2016 19:47

phone the cop shop - could be mistaken for a terrorist's kit bag :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Aug 2016 20:02

My thoughts too, Ann, but I thought I'd give them a chance to remove it.

.......it's still there :-|

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 10 Aug 2016 03:03

That's not on, could invalidate your house insurance Maggie!

Hope they called for the ladder and stuff before dark. Nights have started pulling in, sadly

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 10 Aug 2016 03:03

That's not on, could invalidate your house insurance Maggie!

Hope they called for the ladder and stuff before dark. Nights have started pulling in, sadly

Lizx

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 10 Aug 2016 06:07

I was looking after my neighbours house and I'd been given the money to pay their window cleaner as he was due the 1st week they were away.

On the Monday evening went to water their hanging baskets, 1 at the front door and 2 round the back, to find ladders lying on the back garden path. I knew they were their window cleaner's ladders and I too was furious as he knew they were away, he'd been told to get the money from me.

I pondered and then asked my son to help me get the ladders into our garage. I then phoned the police and told them what I'd done and if the window cleaner reported the loss of the ladders they knew to tell him I'd got them. The police said I'd done the right thing.

The window cleaner didn't come to me until 4 days later. He made an excuse of not feeling well so he couldn't lift them onto his car. I did point out he hadn't cleaned the windows so why had he unloaded them. He knew that I'd realised that he'd just dumped them and he was going to start his round at their house when he next decided to work.

I told my neighbours and they sacked him and started using my guys.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Aug 2016 07:05

I'm afraid I sent a stiff e-mail (the same one) to both the firm and (when I managed to work through their 'contact us, but don't contact us' system) the H & S section of the maintenance department of the Council, pointing out that I never gave permission, and if an attempted burglary takes place, either of their stuff, or my house, I will sue.
I pointed out I could call the police, but a passing pedestrian may do this when they see the holdall.
I also said if I am accused of planting a bomb in my own garden, I hope this e-mail will exonerate me.
I ended with the comment that I will now have to close and lock all my windows, but they obviously couldn’t fit the stuff in their van, and why should they be inconvenienced when I can be.