General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Well

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Aug 2016 18:01

So far this afternoon, as far as I know, an electric circuit caught fire at the bottom of the high street, affecting the one-way system.
There's been an accident on the M3, causing tailbacks, and the car park at 'Boomtown' has caught fire!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2016 19:36

Just a normal Friday then. ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Aug 2016 19:39

So glad I just walk home from work :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Aug 2016 20:37

on Sunday evening I hope to be going to Woking, via Rainham Essex, any suggestions as to a route? from Rainham.....to Woking?
Bob

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Aug 2016 20:38

buy a satnav?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2016 20:47

Over the Dartford Bridge and round the M25 to junction 11? The Bridge gets fewer delays than the N bound tunnels.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Aug 2016 20:59

I got a Tom Tom..........have never done the south M25 yet.

wondering if its any better than the Heathrow nightmare

Bob

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2016 21:21

Well, for a start its shorter! Although other do Motorways peel off, you don't get people trying to turn off to Heathrow & getting confused, or the major M4 junction.

From experience, the only merging that scares the **** out of me is at Junction 5. You use the 2 inside lanes to peel off to the left and suddenly realise that you are in lanes 3 & 4 as the A21 & M26 join on the near side! They could be travelling considerably faster than you. Hold your nerve, sit tight, and let the locals sort themselves out.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Aug 2016 16:19

Right, thanks for that, I lied earlier on I HAVE used the south M25

over 40 years ago!!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Aug 2016 20:08

The M25(S), or at least some of it, was opened by Mrs T in 1986. 40 years ago much of it it was still under construction. Dtto the M3.

It is said that the only thing that saved the M25 from privatisation and takeover by NCP was the election of Tony Blair. Had NCP been allowed to get on with it you can see what a marvellous job they would have done by looking at the Queen Elizabeth bridge.

As it is the Home Office got their foot in the door with end to end traffic jams from Dover to Brum. As this inconveniences those travelling from Syria, Afgahnistan, Libya and so on at vast expense a shuttle railway is to be built running from a small station in N London to another one in Aston NOT Euston-New Street as some like to think. This is known as Torynomics.

;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Aug 2016 01:38

Yeah they were still building it, at the time!!!!
Bob

Island

Island Report 14 Aug 2016 13:36

Is this about the 80 burnt out cars? Some serious festival from what I've read :-0 :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Aug 2016 15:29

Yes and no, Island.
Just an insight into how difficult it can be to get in and out of Winchester, particularly on a Friday!!

When I started the post, only half a dozen cars were on fire - and that was causing problems!!

Fortunately no one was hurt, but it was the car park by the 'Boomtique' area (£300 - £1000 for the duration), so I expect some seriously expensive cars were destroyed.

The firefighters had difficulty getting water, as the festival is held in a large bowl shaped field on the edge of the city - rather good for acoustics, and sound travels, so, depending on the way the wind blows, it can cause sleepless nights for surrounding (not necessarily near) habitations .

:-(

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 14 Aug 2016 19:32

We are fortunate to have friends living a short drive from Dover. They have kindly offered to put us up the night before we catch the ferry to France next month. That will save us the worry of M25/M2.