General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I took the grandson to Covent Garden today

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 16 Aug 2016 20:40

While there, I noticed quite a number of women in Islamic dress, some in full burka(?) with only the eyes showing. I don't have a problem with this, so please don't RR it on some spurious grounds. What I found interesting, was that all the menfolk, without exception, were wearing jeans, shorts, trainers, casual shirts etc. Does this "law" not apply to them. They were all cleanshaven as well.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2016 21:34

This aspect really annoys me, Bob.
According to the Qu'ran, both men AND women should dress modestly - same as in the Bible, so that's modestly, not totally hidden!!!

Men can, generally have a moustache, beard or be clean shaven - the 'compulsory' beard is, as far as I know, an affectation of the tw*ts.
BUT, a beard or moustache shouldn't cover the lips.

In Saudi, men are supposed to cover their hair, like women.
When I was there, (1970's) sideburns were in - and frowned upon, so many men had their shemagh (head dress) attached to their sideburns with hair grips, so the wind didn't blow it back and expose the illicit hair growth :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Aug 2016 21:53

What worries me particularly about the burka is that we can only assume it is a woman inside it. It could be anybody carrying anything.

Many years ago I was with a gentleman from Pakistan for a few years. I was not supposed to speak to other men and of course I didn't (much), but it did make the other things I got up to with them much more fun but you don't want to be hearing about that do you?

I was usually modestly dressed, well you are in a boiler suit.

Often, with a glass in his hand, he would give me a lecture about not eating pork. I was still eating meat then but had never been very keen on pork pies but I certainly put a few away when I was with him.

To be honest, he left me with a dislike of Muslims but I interviewed in the home of some lovely Turkish Muslims who explained to me that , just as not all Christians are Bretheren, so, while Pakistan tends further toward extremism, many other countries have a far more relaxed interpretation.

I would think that, even if her husband had no objection to her wearing immodest western attire, a woman who had always been covered would be very uncomfortable dressing in any other way. She is used to being incognito.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Aug 2016 22:05

seems to me that those who wear the full face cover up have no intention whatsoever of integrating into our society - if you can't go into a bank or building society, or many other establishments wearing a crash helmet, then the same should apply to these "cover all" forms of dress

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Aug 2016 22:06

and another thing - if we should happen to wear shorts in their country we would probably be arrested - sauce for the goose and all that

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 16 Aug 2016 22:09

How do the Children at the school gate at home time
Know who their mummy's are

Do they lift up their gowns to see it the lady is wearing mummy's shoes :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Aug 2016 22:10

bit like lambs finding their mums - they all look the same, presume they go by smell

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Aug 2016 22:15

Its actually amazing how Islamic scholars interpret the Quran differently.

The only thing they seem to agree on is that males should dress modestly, covering the area between their navel and knee.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2016 23:39

...bit like Catholicism, with it's Papal Bulls, all the different types of Protestantism, and Judaism, really :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Aug 2016 05:53

Quite often they wear elaborate and expensive eye make up.

Some christian fundamentalist sects insist on modest dress and hair coverings, these are mainly in America but there is one local to us and the women and girls wear navy head scarves and long cotton dresses. Mormons are fairly mainstream but they have a dress code as well.

Orthodox Jewish women must keep their hair covered as well but they often wear wigs.

The interpretation of what is modest dress is down to individual sects within each religion.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Aug 2016 11:50

Guinevere, those wearing navy headscarves are Plymouth Brethren - a movement started in Dublin. Not only do they wear long skirts and scarves, the women don't cut their hair.
Even within the Brethren, there are two branches 'Open' and 'Exclusive'.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 17 Aug 2016 13:03

The ones I'm thinking of aren't Brethren, Maggie, they are an off shoot of the American Jesus Army or Church army.

I think we do have some brethren as well but I was thinking of the army ones.

They bring their bus into the city from time to time to evangelise.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 17 Aug 2016 14:36

Oh! Talking of this....
Today, my neighbours of 13yrs are packing everything up into a shipping container because they are going "home".

Home is Kenya.( They are Seventh Day Adventists and extremely religious)
Lovely family and I am going to miss them.
I don't think that there is a standard dress code

My neighbour is probably somewhere around 50 yrs old and I am totally facinated by her vast wardrobe.
Her ever changing attire seems to be dictated by her plethora of wigs! ( or perhaps it's the other way round ?)

The traditional Afro Wig:
Teamed with work clothing. Usually tailored suits, blouses and court shoes

Big curl perm wig : ( like African women in the 1950's films)
Worn with traditional, brightly coloured African clothing and head gear . Usually worn for weddings and special occasions .

The shoulder length beaded pleated one:
This is teamed with her younger type look. Jeans, tees, tops and converse type shoes. Sometimes a velour sweatsuit.
She is wearing this wig today with a big scarf tied around it because she is clearing out.
Again, she reminds me of someone from the 1950's !

My favourite of all is..
The swingy, pleated ponytail .
This is for her "Country Set" wardrobe. jodhpurs, knee length leather boots and the standard, green quilted jackets with corduroy collar
How can one person look so different from one day to the next?

Plymouth Brethern ( or Elite Brethern where we live)
The kids attend our local school but they spend so much time in the school library because they can't take part in most activities ( other than the 3 Rs )
Singing.
Dancing.
TV, Radio or Computers ( evil in airwaves and all that)
Religious Ed.
Involvement in Christmas activities.
Im pretty sure that they don't do PE either

I know that the older kids at secondary school know exactly when to leave a classroom. ( if the subject or conversation spreads into certain areas )
They are polite about it but, refuse to stay until the subject has closed