General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wrong birth year on a record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helgaw51

Helgaw51 Report 17 Sep 2016 10:44

Hi how does one get a record amended. There is a birth record that I have just accessed that has the wrong Birth year on it.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Sep 2016 10:50

Births are reg at the time

What makes you think it's the wrong birth year

Folks did tell porkies to cover themselves or for later circumstances

The birth record is the most likely right one as it can't be falsified later

You have six weeks from birth to reg it

Have you maybe picked up a baptism that doesn't equate with the actual birth year

Do you want to give details so it can be looked at ??

Edit my mum always said she was born in 1908 and she carried this on when she married in 1929 saying she was 21

She was born in 1909 she was trying to cover the circumstances of her parents marriage but made a hash of it !!!!

I only found out when she passed away ,and later confirmed this with her birth cert when I took up genealogy search

Helgaw51

Helgaw51 Report 17 Sep 2016 11:31

It is my granddaughter who was born in 2002 not 2003 - my daughter and I work together, I think we would know what year she was born - oh and her birth certificate confirms the year. some one has transcribed it wrongly on to the records that you can access here.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 Sep 2016 11:39

With the 6 weeks allowance from birth to registering the birth can appear to be a wrong year.

e.g. my paternal grandfather born 24th December 1873 birth registered 17th January 1874 so he is down as a 1874 registered birth but has an 1873 actual birth. The correct date of birth is on the birth cert so it's just my gt grandfather taking his time to get the birth registered that pushes it to another year. It is only the registration of the birth that's 1874, this may be the same for you.

. :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Sep 2016 12:38

I agree with Pat. It is often the case that December-born children are not registered until January the following year.

Check the birthdate though because my grandfather's birthday was registered as a month later by his mother who did not register it until ten weeks after he was born. Luckily, when I asked, my Dad told me the correct date. When cousins queried it I checked the baptism registers and hey presto, there he was, actually baptised seven days before the birth-date given to the registrar. He has given his correct birthday in 1939 (though has been economical with the year).

After seeing 1939 information, one of his sister's registered birth date is a month after she herself has stated in 1939 so I have a feeling the same thing happened there and I am searching baptism registers now.

Helgaw51

Helgaw51 Report 17 Sep 2016 12:42

OK that seems possible as a christmas day birth - so what the register is about is the date of registration not the date of birth - confusing - wish they would state that!

Thanks every one. :-S

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Sep 2016 14:30

If you look on the actual image of the births index it does say at the top of the page:-

Births registered in.......Jan. Feb, March etc.

Kath. x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Sep 2016 18:12

As you have the birth certificate I suggest you check the column which says "When Registered". This will determine which volume and date of the register the entry will be found.

Huia

Huia Report 17 Sep 2016 21:24

If you have the b cert you can add a postem to the record in freeBMD, giving details from the cert. You can include your email address if you want any contact. I have added postems to several on FreeBMD. It shows an envelope beside the details. Have a look at Baynes, Anne, using the 'same pronunciation' button, year was 1844.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Sep 2016 23:48

Yes, the birth of your granddaughter is shown in the GRO Index as registered in the March quarter of 2003, which covers January, February and March registrations.

Obviously whoever registered her birth did not get to the Registrar's Office before the end of the day on December 31 2002. Not surprising as you have 6 weeks grace period in which to register births.

Her Birth is not wrong, it was just registered in the next quarter.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Sep 2016 07:38

My dad was born 28th Dec 1907 .

His mum registered his birth in late jan 1908 so his GRO record shows in the March qtr 1908

His cert though does show his Dec birth date but also shows when his mum reg him in jan 1908