General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

btinternet email keeps asking for pasword

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 24 Sep 2016 12:13

My btinternet email connection keeps asking for username and password but will not connect, any suggestions as to what to do. Also all my contacts etc seem to have vanished.

I will be out for a couple of hours so please note i will not be ignoring any suggestions, will check when back.

Thank you

Frances

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Sep 2016 12:35

We've had this happen occasionally - it usually means they have locked you out because your contacts list has been hacked and you are being flooded with spam mail.

You can either create a new password by going to www.bt.com/changepassword or you can ring them on 0800 111 4567.

You will get a person and they are usually very helpful. This number is for all BT Broadband enquiries and is not easy to find, so I suggest you make a note of it for future reference.

Good luck. :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 Sep 2016 12:46

BT e mail is run by Yahoo and was part of the great Yahoo hack.
Change yr password a.s.a.p.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Sep 2016 15:41

From the BT website today

At BT, we take the security of our customers’ data and information extremely seriously.

You may have seen that overnight Yahoo! announced that a copy of certain user account information was stolen from its company’s network in late 2014. Yahoo! is the provider of some of BT’s customers email accounts and we are urgently investigating this with them.

If you were a BT Yahoo email account holder in 2014 and haven’t reset your password since then, as a precaution we advise that you change your passwords online and follow good password management practices.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Sep 2016 15:45

We received emails from BT saying the exact same thing today. It's a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted (the hack occurred in 2014) but still worth changing your password.

As far as signing in. One device refused to accept the (original) password earlier on but was fine a short while later. Perhaps it was a blip or something.

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 25 Sep 2016 12:57

Thank you all for your input, I am going to phone BT re suggestion from Andysmum as I cannot get any further than entering user name and password which then asks for same info over and over again. :-S :-S

Frances

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Sep 2016 14:50

BT Customer Services are staffed by synths still using an early version of Yahoo Unsecurity.

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 25 Sep 2016 18:19

Hi Rollo thanks for your input and what are synths!! sorry not very techo language savvy.

I see previously you say change my password, but cannot access at all.

Cheers
Frances

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Sep 2016 18:33

Synth as in Humans, I Robot, Blade Runner etc. Joke.
Anyway try clearing your browser cache then restart - that usually fixes yr problem.
Do not use any version of Internet Explorer.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Sep 2016 21:54

If you go into the address I put before it takes you straight into the change password page, by-passing the usual log-in page and any problems.

I have just done it and this is the link

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/chpasswdsso