General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Food Your Dog Should Never Eat.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Sep 2016 16:58

I don't have a dog, but those of you who do might find this interesting/useful.

6 Foods Your Dog Should NEVER Eat

When your beloved dog begs for food under the family dining table, it's tempting to toss him something now and then. Resist that urge!

Some foods meant for human consumption can be dangerous, and even deadly, to your dog.

An animal's body processes food much differently than the human body. "Our bodies may break down foods or other chemicals that a dog's can't tolerate," explains Dr. Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

And while sometimes people can have severe allergic reactions to foods, it's different for dogs. "Allergies in animals tend to manifest themselves more in skin or ear issues," she explains.

In addition, a food might harm one dog and not another. It depends on a number of factors, including the animal's genetic makeup and size, as well as the amount that animal eats. "A big lab that eats a bar of dark chocolate may not have any problems," she says, "whereas a Chihuahua could get dangerously ill."

Six foods your dog should never eat:

1. Raw meat
Why? It can contain E. coli, Salmonella or other harmful bacteria. Also, don't handle raw meat and then give your dog a treat without first washing your hands.

2. Grapes, raisins, and currants
Why? They can cause kidney failure in some dogs.

3. Fried and fatty foods
Why? They not only can give your dog a stomach ache, but also can cause pancreatitis, a potentially life-threatening disease.

4. Onions, garlic, chives, onion powder and garlic powder
Why? They can be toxic to your dog and in severe cases could even kill your pet.

5. Salty snacks
Why? In large quantities, salty snacks can make dogs really ill. One potato chip or pretzel every once in a while probably won't do any harm.

6. Xylitol, a sugar substitute used in many sugarless products
Why? Xylitol, which is found in sugarless gum, candies, oral products and some peanut butters and other nut butters, can be deadly if ingested by a dog.

--From the Editors at Netscape

Annx

Annx Report 25 Sep 2016 17:08

I thought chocolate was very harmful?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Sep 2016 17:28

don't, don't, don't let them have chocolate or alcohol.

Island

Island Report 25 Sep 2016 17:57

I'd add 'treats from anyone but the dogs owner' to the list.
I feed my dog and like all dogs he's a greedy little mutt and prone to putting on weight. Some dogs are on restricted diets and don't need extra titbits.
I'm sure most people don't offer treats to strangers children, so why strangers dogs?

Pet hate of mine. Pardon the pun :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Sep 2016 18:00

There's an important one missing - don't let your dogs take a bite out of people.

Island

Island Report 25 Sep 2016 18:11

I have to say, our childhood dog suffered no ill affects from the occasional chocolate (to assist tablet taking) or the odd saucer of beer. Some dogs love a swift half :-D

Not that I'd advise either nowadays.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Sep 2016 18:37

There is special chocolate for dogs which can be bought at pet shops.
Never give them chocolate meanst for humans esp small dogs.

http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/dog-care/nutrition-feeding/is-chocolate-bad-for-dogs

Island

Island Report 25 Sep 2016 18:43

Do you have a dog Rollo?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Sep 2016 19:16

I have had several dogs during my life but do not have one right now. I was very cut up when we lost our red setter. Right now with all the traveling another dog is not on.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 25 Sep 2016 19:38

It's a good job the powers that be don't know what our farm dogs ate!!!!! entirely different diet to the house dogs.

Having 3 small children at the time the dogs did act as hoovers and suffered no ill effects TBH and there was NO chance chocolate was going to be dropped...lolol

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 25 Sep 2016 19:53

Chocolate and alcohol :-D. No, would never give ours that, but we had a dog when I was a teen that was a complete dustbin guts. We went out one evening over Christmas period and unknowingly left a box of chocolate liqueurs within his reach. Luckily I don't think he consumed much alcohol as most of it was over his coat. We spent days trying to get it all out of his (long) fur.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Sep 2016 23:54

Sometimes, the dogs can try to outwit you!!

Scenario - Christmas.
Daughter here, with her GSD/Collie cross. A very affectionate, intelligent and obedient dog.
Her boyfriend here, with his Black Irish Wolfhound. A very affectionate dog, but not the sharpest tool in the box.
Dinner over, turkey in oven (which is off) to cool.
Both dogs in kitchen. Daughters dog comes into living room in a crouched (guilty) position and sidles under the table.
Thump from kitchen - we go out to find the Irish Wolfhound with the turkey remains.
Conclusion - daughter's dog worked out how to open the oven - thinks better of it once she's opened it - departs kitchen before proverbial hits fan.
Boyfriend's dog thinks 'Whoopee' and drags turkey out of oven.
Looks confused when we enter kitchen,and utter sounds of dismay (that was tomorrow's lunch).
He looks even more perplexed when we take it off him!!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Sep 2016 06:45

You can buy Doggy Beer these days. I saw some last week at the local garden centre.