General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Base over apex.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Sep 2016 18:35

We share a path with The Towers (We've Bough Towers) For a long time they have been in discussion with our housing association about the state of the path and the gate which has been there for forty-five years and is decomposing quite badly now. It was a shame they didn't tell me they were trying to negotiate repair before Fred died because I could probably have swung it needing safe wheelchair access.

Last night I was going out on my own to pick up OH who had been to a family party. It was mighty dark and I picked my way to the gate very carefully through the holes in the path. Come the last hole, I was just feeling to see if the gate was open or closed and I lost my balance, grabbed the gate and that too fell over across the pavement. Wrapped around the gate, I couldn't get my leg in a position to get myself up so I called for help. We are all double glazed and nobody heard so I lay there crying for a bit.

When I did gather myself enough to have another go, my thigh started to cramp.

Eventually I had to take the loose bricks off the top of the wall and pull myself up.

I have large bruises, grazed knees, aches in bits I forgot I had. Tomorrow the housing association is having a call from me and I wouldn't mind betting the home owners will be calling too.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Sep 2016 19:04

...well, if it's been pointed out before that the gate & path were in a dangerous state, and you've been hurt - they'd better repair it all pretty damn quick - there are solicitors who do 'no win no pay' work! :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Sep 2016 19:16

That must have been horrible for you. So glad you managed to extract yourself.

Even if you don't intend to make a personal claim, take photos of your scratches & ripening bruises. You can always threaten to sue them. That might make them realise the dangerous condition it's in.

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Sep 2016 21:04

I will not be suing my next door neighbours as I have to live next door to them and I really don't think I will be suing the housing association either. Can't claim lost earnings because I don't earn anything. It is too much like hassle anyway.

Just hoping I might get the gate and path done now.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Sep 2016 21:14

That is what you can hope for Sharron, hope the bruises heal soon. <3

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Sep 2016 21:19

'Personal injury', 'traumatised' and 'suffering'. Not that you'd need to actually sue anyone, just threaten to do so unless they get the path & gate repaired. If its a public footpath then it could be the council's responsiblity.

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Sep 2016 21:46

I did tell the bloke next door to tell them he was afraid I might sue them.

Allan

Allan Report 25 Sep 2016 22:49

I hope that you quickly recover, Sharron.

Be very wary of the 'No win, no fee' merchants. We have hordes of them in Oz and what they don't tell you is that if you lose you could be up for legal expenses against you

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Sep 2016 23:13

I wasn't suggesting Sharron used 'No win no fee' merchants, more that she just pointed out they exist! :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 25 Sep 2016 23:31

Maggie :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Sep 2016 01:20

Sorry to hear this. Hope the bruises and scratches soon heal

But ....... it is a good idea to take photos of the bruises and scratches, and also of the gate and the top of the wall where you had to pull the bricks down.

That is proof that you are not telling untruths (as if you would!!), and the HA will have to do something.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Sep 2016 12:20

As things stand, i will be having a new path on Wednesday and a new gate on 18th.

I didn't think to mention to the housing association that it was a shared path and gate.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2016 14:22

Result! :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Sep 2016 17:43

Great! :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Sep 2016 18:39

:-D :-D :-D :-D