General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mersey

Mersey Report 1 Nov 2016 23:02

A quick question , does the 1939 register cover only England
and Wales??? :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 1 Nov 2016 23:06

Yes I think so.

Check it here.......

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Nov 2016 23:07

Correct. Plus adults already in the Services are listed on a different register unless they were On Leave on 29 Sep 1939. That one hasn't been made available on the internet. Not sure if its available elsewhere, but unlikely at the moment.

Mersey

Mersey Report 1 Nov 2016 23:08

Thanks Mr M I had looked there but was not sure :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 1 Nov 2016 23:08

Wrong........

December 1938 it was announced in the House of Commons that in the event of war, a National Register would be taken that listed the personal details of every civilian in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. This Register was to be a critical tool in coordinating the war effort at home. It would be used to issue identity cards, organise rationing and more.

Mersey

Mersey Report 1 Nov 2016 23:08

Thanks Det :-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 1 Nov 2016 23:11

So no chance of Scottish or Irish ones?? Sorry if I seem thick :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Nov 2016 23:12

The 1939 Register as on FMP does not include N Ireland. If it does, then all the Murphy's who lived in Belfast must have hiden!
The Filter by Country only gives England and Wales as options. N Ireland and Scotland are not included

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 1 Nov 2016 23:14

No......click on the link and read "what is the register"

England & Wales are only on FMP.

Mersey

Mersey Report 1 Nov 2016 23:15

Thank you :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 1 Nov 2016 23:15

Most of the Murphys were in England DET.... :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Nov 2016 23:16

Its the only 'Irish' name I could think of!!!! :-D

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 2 Nov 2016 01:04

Found this re the Scottish 1939 register.......dated 2010 so cost might be different now!!

Joan.

So how do you make an application? - send a request to the following address:

Extract Services
General Register Office for Scotland
New Register House
3 West Register Street
Edinburgh
EH1 3YT

You will need to enclose a fee of £13 (cheque payable to the General Register Office of Scotland) and evidence of the death of the person who is the subject of the enquiry. For those who have died in Britain, a simple date of death will suffice as the GROS can easily corroborate that from its records, but if it is for a Scot who has died overseas, you should enclose proof of death from overseas. In return, an official extract from the register with the GROS seal will be despatched, including all the details on that individual as recorded in 1939.

It should be noted that this was not an official census, but a register drawn up for the purpose of issuing identity cards. Therefore a record supplied by the GROS will not show a household, just information for the individual in question.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 2 Nov 2016 05:19

Ok if each and every person is there why can't I find my Great uncle Frank??

Ball is a very common name :-(, but he would be the only one who was born May 1918.

I hope

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 2 Nov 2016 05:42

Your Gt Uncle Frank was the right age to be already in the forces so would be listed on the armed forces register. That could be your answer.

Mersey

Mersey Report 2 Nov 2016 09:03

Wow thank you so much:-D :-D

Can I ask another question then ;-) :-D

What happened to those in hospital,children in children's homes or even maybe let's say jailed???

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Nov 2016 09:18

'Everyone' was registered although some people did end up on a 'Late Register' if, for some reason, they forgot to fill up the form.

It identified adults who could be be called up for service in the forces or could be directed into other 'war work'.
It was also the basis for issuing ration cards. No ration cards and you couldn't buy meat, fats, bread, eggs or clothing!
http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/what-you-need-to-know-about-rationing-in-the-second-world-war