General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pencil sharpener!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 4 Nov 2016 15:10

Was in town today waiting for my computer which I had to take into the repair shop,and wandered into Poundland ,which I have been in about once before,so,killing time I was looking around and thought I'd see if they had a pencil sharpener as Can't find mine..
Went all along pencils,stationery,erasers etc couldn't find ,saw assistant and he said Oh yes,they're not in this section they're in makeup as were not allowed to put them in that section because of Health and Safety...wonder how they sharpen the pencils they buy,,,with a knife?....isn't that more dangerous?.... <. :-S

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Nov 2016 15:16

Knives can only be bought by people over 16. You may have noticed that those younger than that need only two thumbs to communicate and never use pencils as any teacher will tell you.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Nov 2016 15:21

Having worked in the Estee Lauder factory I can tell you that it is worth getting a Clinique pencil if only for the sharpener. They are just about the best I have ever come across, apart from one i had that came in a toy in a cereal box.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 4 Nov 2016 15:26

The children usually live in a home that have a cutlery drawer!!

Sharpeners are safer!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Nov 2016 15:52

Have you seen the damage children can do with a pencil sharpener??

Take the blade out and fiddle with it - cut their nail bed so badly that not only do they drip blood onto the floor whilst being taken to the first aider, they also end up in A&E for stitches.

You can't legislate against stupidity.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 4 Nov 2016 16:11

I can remember when I would go up to the waste-paper bin by the teachers desk to use my penknife to sharpen pencils and we never had any stabbings or assaults on teachers in schools those days. ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Nov 2016 16:39

In those days didn't they use the sort that you sharpened by turning a handle.?

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 4 Nov 2016 17:52

This one has a cover that catches the bits,so it's not even like the ones that we used to have with a blade that was uncovered.
My grandson in Australia collects knives and has done for quite a while and he is only 17 now.
He has them sent from various parts of the world .
We always carried a penknife when I was at school in our pencil boxes.
The thing is that I could buy the sharpener at another aisle in the store at the makeup part that young girls ,who wear makeup younger and younger, can purchase...doesn't make sense.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 4 Nov 2016 19:23

Now when I forgot my makeup pencil sharpener when on holiday I went to a Tesco Extra but couldn't find one, asked for help but the assistant couldn't find one either - so I bought one from the stationery department! (not very efficient but better than nothing)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 4 Nov 2016 20:24

Two of my curious grandchildren put their little fingers into a pencil sharpener to see if and how it worked. It did and they never did it again. :-S