General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't get the Christmas cakes right.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Dec 2016 10:42

Every year we make two Christmas cakes, one for us, one for Fred's mate. This year it looks like we will be making at least five.

A couple of weeks ago we made two. As you know, OH is a chef and makes things properly with a recipe and I am a welder who chucks in a bit of this and a dollop of that and I use up what is hanging about.

I tried to make them both together in the mixer, forgot to put in an baking powder and didn't have quite enough mixture so I chucked in quite a lot more fruit and they came out tasting alright but looked more like Christmas biscuits and not tall enough to ice. On Sunday, once I had my head round it, we made two more, seperately.

I chucked and dolloped the first one while he lined the tins (his skill and not mine). That one went into the square tin and is now in the kitchen looking lovely. As I wanted to make a steamed pudding for tonight, I got on with that and left him to chuck and dollop the second cake.Well, he just can't do it, nor, indeed, can he strike arc!

Even although I had talked him through the process, there is a round cake in the kitchen with a dirty great well in the middle and it looks like I must mix up yet another one for us.!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Dec 2016 10:55

Get them right! Try Tia Maria instead of brandy as I did by mistake one year and watch everyone trying to be polite before finally throwing in the towel, Sharron.

:-S :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Dec 2016 11:01

I could fill the big well with Tia Maria.

One year I made the Delia Smith Creole cake which involves soaking the fruit in a whole mix of spirits and had spent a time actually tracking down the spirits.

Come the day to start the soaking there were some that I had not tasted or, if I had, not for a long time and Fred's mate had never tasted. This, of course, meant that we had to have a taste of everything and I haven't drunk for a very long time. Fred's mate has never really drunk much.

OH came home to find me spark out on the sofa and Fred's mate somewhat tiddly in the chair with Fred trying to look like he had nothing to do with it, we had not even offered him any!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Dec 2016 22:15

Sharron, you are priceless lol

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Dec 2016 23:09

Are you having to eat these 'failures'?

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Dec 2016 00:10

We are. Terrible hardship for all concerned.