General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone got their tree on FMP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 26 Dec 2016 11:24

I have just received my email from GR notifying me that my subs are due next week. The price has gone up again and is dearer than last year. I keep renewing because (apart from all its lovely members) it is the only online site that I have got my tree.

I do have it on my computer on Family Tree Maker. I am a member of Ancestry but I'm not sure I want to put my tree on there. I am also a member of Find My Past and wondered if anyone has their tree on there and if so how good they thought it was. Do you get response, matches, contact etc from other FMP members? Has having it on there helped you with your research other than the general use of FMP?

Thank you
Wendy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Dec 2016 12:10

Does FMP have interactive tree matches? If so, no ones interested in mine! They do have record hints. As far as I'm aware there's no facility to contact other tree holders, nor are there community boards.

If you have a premium membership on GR, why not downgrade to Standard? c£20 p.a. isn't much in the great scheme of things.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Dec 2016 12:52

I have my tree on ancestry uploaded from my family tree maker

I often get hints for tree members and have made contact with others who share some ancestors .One of them often updated with new data and I get an email saying new people have been added and I can take a look at them

Andrew

Andrew Report 26 Dec 2016 12:56

I have my tree on Ancestry. I have had several contacts from other peple, most are quite intersting. Also get emails with hints, some of which are actually correct!!

Andy

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 26 Dec 2016 14:03

Thank you for your replies. I think I may put my tree on Ancestry, I was put off by someone having part of my tree added quite wrongly into theirs. I very nicely pointed out the errors and offered the correct info but they weren't interested.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Dec 2016 14:04

FMP is great for yr Scots roots (if any). For that only I found it unbeatable.
Otherwise Ay is a much better bet esp for research outside of the UK.
Technically / range of data it is way in front of FMP.

There is a lot of nonsense on Ay but many of the trees are v high quality ( nearly all private), The owners will generally help out / give access once yr bona fides are established. Most also post to roots web.
I have met some of the co-researchers and they have all had hearts of gold.

btw it is fairly easy to turn off much of the junk which has recently appeared in Ay for those who see Facebook as suitable platform for FH.

Ay also has an excellent Android aoo.

good luck

Inky1

Inky1 Report 26 Dec 2016 16:23

Further to other comments.
Main tree on here with a copy on both FMP and Anc.

FMP. Tree Settings:-

“Public Tree” box is unchecked. Not sure if that is supposed to emulate the Public/Private box on Anc? Cannot see a way to search other trees for names. Maybe all trees have the box unchecked and Private trees cannot be searched? I do not have a clue.

“Notify me about activity on this tree” box is checked.
‘Periodically we will email you about hints and new activity on this tree.’ NEVER………….

Anc:- Messages:-

I think my main ‘beef’ is that you do not know whether a sent message has been opened.
But compared to GR I like the fact that the email notification of received messages contains the message.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Dec 2016 16:27

You can make your Ancestry tree totally private, if that is what you wish.

Once you've put those settings in place, it does say that it could be couple of weeks before they become active.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 26 Dec 2016 23:28

Thank you I think I've decided to update my gedcom and put in on Ancestry as a private tree. I'm willing to share anything I have including certs, wills etc as long as I can see the connection is correct and genuine

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Dec 2016 09:12

Wendy there is a thread up re a 50% off GR offer I don'r know if that is for existing or new members though.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 27 Dec 2016 12:39

Thanks Ann, I'll have a look for it x