General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Windows defender

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 5 Jan 2017 21:31

Error code: 0x80004004

The website I went to said I had 98 threats and wanted $100 to fix it. hmmm NO I may have trouble handling money but I am not that stuipd but the only thing I can think of is the purge the laptop of everything and start all over again.

I need help.

PLEASE :-D :-D :-D <3 <3 <3 :-D :-D :-D I'll pay you $100 before I'll pay some website I don't know.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Jan 2017 00:56

Sorry Shy, I am no help but hope you can get assistance.

How are you doing otherwise?

Hope this new year brings you good things , anf peacd of mind that

Lizxx

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Jan 2017 10:28

do not allow remote web sites access to your computer in order to "fix" faults more likely than not you will be really sorry and seriously out of pocket..

which version of windows are you running 7, 8.x or 10 32/64 bit?

This error happens when Windows Defender fails to update itself it is not something to get in a panic about. The most common reason is that another AV program has been installed. If that is the case then deinstall the other program, set updates to automatic and reboot. There is a 50% chance that will fix it. If not come back here and give the Windows version.

You may also try downloading MalwareBytes free version and running it. MB will remove any junk PUPS etc currently installed.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

btw The most common way to accidentally install a second AV program is by installing the Flash update without unticking the option for another AV program to be installed.

The current leader of the pack / best value Windows AV program is Norton. Around £ 30.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Jan 2017 12:03

If you bank with Barclays you can get Kaspersky Internet Security with a 2 pc licence, for free.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Jan 2017 17:46

well did you fix it yet?
or did you pony up $100 for that nice man to give online help. You did? What happened?

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 6 Jan 2017 21:01

No Rollo the nice man didn't get his $100. :-S

I just got home, so Let me see want I can do.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 6 Jan 2017 22:07

I had Norton two computers ago and I had nothing but trouble with it, it even refused to be uninstalled. So I won't use it again. This laptop had McAfee installed as well as Windows defender but I thought I had taken it off, my brother saids never use McAfee so I don't(can't remember why though)

So I ran Malwarebytes and yes there were pups on so they're gone now but it didn't help :-S

I have Windows 8.1 and x64-based processor

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Jan 2017 14:53

all modern and not so modern CPUs are 64 bit. Windows itself comes in two versions 32 bit and 64 bit. Accidental installation of 32 bit system software on 64 bit systems can cause all sorts of fun and games.

Windows 8.x is a mess and very buggy. Last year M$ offered a free UG to Windows 10 which most 8.x users wisely accepted. Those who didn't should get hold of a Windows10 OEM installation (abt £ 40 ) and do a new install. Win10 built in browser (Edge) is good and improving.

McAfee and Kaspersky AV programs have a poor clear up rate. In particular they fail on self modifying attack code which has no sig.

Norton has had a total rewrite and is a lot different from a few years back. It is current top on fix performance (100%) and has the lowest grab of RAM and CPU cycles. It is also cheap.

I assume you didn't get Defender Update error fixed.