General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

fitted sheets

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Jan 2017 16:51

We always use a fitted bottom sheet but one we have is a real devil to get on the bed. It is a very good quality, beautiful soft cotton one but (and I have never come across this before), it has elastic the whole way round it. It is so hard to get onto the bed. It takes both of us, you can get two corners on then they spring off as you try to get the other two on. I hate using it but it is so comfortable to sleep on. Once we have fought it on it stays on, doesn't move. anyone else come across this type of fitted sheet?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 16 Jan 2017 16:55

We gave up with those because our mattress is so deep. We now use super king flat sheets on the king size bed. Lots to tuck in :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Jan 2017 17:12

yes our mattresse is deep too. Why do they make deep mattresses but no fitted sheets to cope with them. OH is such a fidget that if the sheet wasn't fitted it would always be untucked!

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Jan 2017 17:16

I have always found that fitted sheets tend to come unhooked in the night and one corner comes off so you are sleeping on mattress so I have used flat sheets for years.

K

K Report 16 Jan 2017 17:27

A number of companies including M&S and John Lewis specify the mattress depth their sheets fit

Von

Von Report 16 Jan 2017 17:57

Loads of places do deeper fitted sheets.

Ann make sure you have one corner properly fitted and securely tucked underneath the mattress. Sit on this corner.
T can then secure the other three corners for you. ;-) ;-) ;-) :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Jan 2017 18:35

What about a water bed? (Just asking!).

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jan 2017 18:57

Dunelm is the place I found fitted sheets to fit a deeper mattress.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 16 Jan 2017 18:59

You can get little corner straps for the fitted sheets. I got them when granddaughter moved from her cot to a bed and I used a foam wedge along the side of the bed under the top sheet. Without these straps the sheet pinged straight off :-D

And I know this is a bit random, but I also got some similar straps which hold the cover taut on my ironing board ;-)

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 16 Jan 2017 19:03

The fitted sheets described as cotton jersey are much stretchier.

I have just acquired better top sheets - wanted to postpone the timing for changing duvet covers. Was sure they existed but couldn't find them anywhere. At last I( googled "semi-fitted top sheets"! They are rather more expensive but I think worth it - the ones I bought were independently made, they checked the mattress measurements with meso it took a little time. An unexpected bonus is that I must be less fidgety as often the books etc. on the bed are now still there in the morning instead of their usual place on the floor!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Jan 2017 19:22

you need to try fitting them on on your own - and changing the duvet cover - not easy!!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Jan 2017 19:36

We use fitted sheets all the time, and I love the ones with elastic all the way round! They are less common than those that are fitted only at the corners, and often a little more expensive..

We can buy sheets to fit different depths of mattresses .......... just have to make sure that you check the labelling.

Our problem is that we have a Scandinavian bed bought in the days when everyone was buying teak. It is a European double ................. that means it is longer and a little wider than an American double.

Being able to buy deeper fitted sheets has really made life easier ........... I just buy sheets for the next mattress depth up.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 16 Jan 2017 19:53

Ann, get the M&S extra deep PERCALE sheets..lovely :-D <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Jan 2017 20:30

Thanks everyone, this sheet is deep enough but the elastic sides are really tight ( bought in Dunelm)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Jan 2017 23:49

I recently got 2 new bottom sheets ftom Lidl or Aldi, can't remember which. Our mattress is deep as it's memory foam. These new sheets are fabulous, lovely cotton jersey and a bit stretchy, and more than deep enough, and cost about £7.99 for double size.

It's worth signing up to get the Lidl and Aldi emails telling you what's on offer each week as they have some very good items. A lot of my clothes come from these stores and wear really well. I am hoping the sheets wear as well. I washed them before use and they don't need ironing. They came up really well.

Some time ago I got some clips from Kleeneze, you slide them on to hold the sheet taut, they really work, even if you only use them to hold one end of the sheet while fitting it, but they can be left on.

Lizx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Jan 2017 13:06

Thanks Liz, we don't have a convenient Lidl or Aldi close to us but daughter does so when we next visit her I will keep my eyes open.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Jan 2017 21:17

Ann, they only have them when on special offer, different offers each week and when they are gone, that's it! If you get the emails you can see what's available a couple of weeks ahead. With Lidls you get 28 days to return unwanted goods, with Aldi it's 60 days. Most of the time the quality of their things is excellent.

Lizx

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Jan 2017 23:50

recently bought a Dreams double mattress............yer right its about a foot deep, and must be a tad larger as our fitted sheets are a struggle to get on....

Barbra

Barbra Report 18 Jan 2017 23:38

Amazon sell the clips to secure your sheets .have a look Bob :-)