General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

In which I bully a stranger.(Updated)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Feb 2017 22:43

Today I went to a funeral. At the pub, having the sandwiches afterwards, I joined a lady at a table. I had not met her before but her speech was kind of slow and strange . Chatting to her she mentioned that she was a retired dentist and , because I am rude and badly brought up, I asked her if she had had a stroke.

She said she was wondering but thought she might have done but had made an appointment with her doctor for two weeks time. I said I thought she should get her butt up to A&E but she, the retired dentist, said she was trying not to be any trouble.

Oh dear, after the seven years I had, I let rip at her a bit and said I would be in the shop to see where she lived if she wouldn't tell me, and I would be checking up on her!

Of course I won't but she doesn't know that. Silly old biddy!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Feb 2017 23:01

That is so sad.
Someone who needs to go to A&E, but has (through the media) come to the conclusion that, as she's still 'functioning', she shouldn't 'bother' them.
Also, we (the elderly) are constantly being 'informed' that we are the cause of the NHS crisis, rather than the Government.

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Feb 2017 23:04

I did offer to take her but she wanted to see to her cats, which I can understand.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Feb 2017 23:08

So can I - arrange feeding etc.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 10 Feb 2017 23:13

Good for you....Sometimes it is what is needed, the proverbial kick up the ar**

However I do think it is a generation thing, not wanting to waste people's time.

My Dad, (then aged 70) lay awake for 3 hours with chest pains as he didn't want to wake my Mum. Yes it was a heart attack and he had to be resuscitated twice in the ambulance.

My OH (then 54) woke me in the middle of the night after having chest pain for 2 hours, 'cause he knew I was tired and didn't want to wake and worry me. Ambulance ride to hospital and thankfully he was given the all clear.

I had always thought men were the weaker sex when it came to illness, think 'Man Flu', but maybe it is because they are scared that they don't react to potentially dangerous symptoms and signs earlier.

Chris

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 11 Feb 2017 09:42

Good for you ;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Feb 2017 14:08

I had a ministroke and just wanted to curl up and hope it would go away. OH had other ideas and so I found myself in A&E at 3am feeling a bit silly. the meds said that stroke/ministroke sufferers coming in urgently saves the NHS sheds of money further down the line. So Sharron is right her dentist friend was v silly.

F A S T
face arm speech
Time to call 999

BrianW

BrianW Report 11 Feb 2017 16:33

My daughter (38) had sudden weakness down her left side while in the shower at about 7am the Wednesday before last.
Rang the out of hours NHS number and told the nurse the symptons. A doctor rang back in ten minutes and offered to send an ambulance but as we are only a couple of roads away from A&E I took her in myself.
She was triaged almost immediataly, taken to recuss on a trolley, blood taken, CT scan, MRI scan, diagnosed as migraine related so not a stroke, discharged to care of her GP and back home by 13.00.
Can't have anything other than praise for the speed and professionalism when it really counts.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 11 Feb 2017 18:07

Frightening for your daughter Brian. I am glad it wasn't as serious as feared. Some 14 years ago I had a similar experience and found the NHS were very quick and efficient when it was necessary.

I had gone to bed with a migraine. Next morning OH heard me shout out and came into the bedroom to find I couldn't lift my arm and I had lost my memory. I knew him but didn't know where I was or anything about myself or my life and was apparently panicking. No NHS number to ring then, so he rang our GP surgery. The senior partner was close by so came immediately, called an ambulance and stayed with me till it arrived, but told my OH that he didn't think it was a stroke. I spent 5 days in hospital and, thankfully, most of my memory returned. It was put down to migraine and I am on permanent medication to hopefully prevent it happening again.

Sharron, you did the right thing to encourage your lady not to wait for an appointment. I hope she is OK

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2017 21:54

Sharron ............

you did the right thing.

I hope she has followed through, and gone to A&E

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 11 Feb 2017 22:58

Get medical attention quickly - either GP or A&E.

My sister had weakness down one side and slight dizziness, her GP sent her straight to hospital.

We all sort of 'assumed' it was a mini-stroke.

Unfortunately the scan revealed an aggressive brain tumour.

She died 3 months later.

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Feb 2017 13:35

We went to the social club this morning and I spoke to somebody who lives in the village and knows what is going on.

It seems the lady has been talking like that for a ling time so whatever did happen to her was a long time ago and must have been dealt with then.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Feb 2017 13:50

Thanks for the update Sharron. Interesting that she didn't mention that she normally talks like that. A misunderstanding or a touch of dementia perhaps?