General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Legal wording of a will...advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Feb 2017 21:33

Can anyone tell me if in a will it reads "To my inheritor(persons name). I leave them everything i own" whether this would be acceptable.If the person making the will hasnt stated or named any property etc then would these words be sufficient to execute the will if the inheritor had the deeds say to any property, so could prove who owned them..

Thanks
Florence
in the hebrides :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 Feb 2017 22:04

Yes, I think so. It would be up to the executor to gather together everything belonging to the deceased, and then apply for probate and hand over the assets. Whether there is one legatee or several should make no difference.

Janet

Janet Report 20 Feb 2017 04:11

Take legal advice if property is involved. Wills are not too expensive if they are straightforward.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Feb 2017 09:28

Don't forget there are different rules for Scottish and English wills.

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Feb 2017 14:07

It would be very basic, wills really should be as detailed as possible to save any misunderstanding. At least make sure the person knows exactly what is owned before hand.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Feb 2017 16:17

Unless you intend to make individual bequests, e.g. I leave my gold wedding ring to abc, and my computer to xyz then it is better not to be too specific.

If you plan on leaving everything to one person, or the proceeds to be shared equally to more than one, all you need to put is something on the lines of "All my Property of whatever kind wherever situate"

If to be shared between more than one then you need to decide what happens to their share if any pre-decease you.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 Feb 2017 16:22

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/family/death-and-wills/wills-s/

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Feb 2017 22:04

Thankyou peeps for all your advice. It is a will that will benefit only one person and they are aware of property etc that is invloved.
I just wondered if it was sufficient to say"everything i own".

This will be covered under English law as the person lives in England.
Thanks again
florence
in the hebrides :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Feb 2017 07:40

We did reciprocal wills .ie he left what was his to me and visa versa

We had them done by a solicitor and the wording was I leave all my estate to ( name) and in the event they predecease me then I leave it in its entirety to ( our daughters name ) for her to do as she wishes .

It was then very straight forward for me as the executor to prove the will .

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Feb 2017 15:53

Our wills state somewhere "everything of which I die possessed", which is legal jargon for "everything I own", so it should be OK.

There are cases of soldiers writing wills in wartime that simply state "everything to x" where x is his wife/parents and they were all OK.