General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Noisy dickies.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Mar 2017 16:28

That cat I feed on the front window sill appears noiselessly and you are lucky to see him. The two great fat robins that come lumbering down to the saucer all day make hell of a noise, the saucer rattles when they land on it and sometimes it moves when they take off and falls on to the garden.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Mar 2017 16:36

A cat given a bell will v soon learn how to move silently with it
That's what cats do.
Catch.

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Mar 2017 17:25

What?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Mar 2017 19:09

The robins sound very jovial.
Obviously know what side their bread's (overly) buttered on!! :-D :-D

Can the cat see you when he's eating?

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Mar 2017 19:33

I think so.

Not sure birds can see through double glazing though. When the desk was upstairs I was once sitting at it at the window and a collared dove was on the window sill.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Mar 2017 21:40

The cat's quiet - but brave :-D
He must trust you a little bit.

Now, my neighbours cats - the ones denied anywhere in their own garden to poo, so chose my grass, (not burying it is an aggressive 'I'm taking this territory' signal to other cats) don't trust me one little bit!!

My George (cat) actually came up to the 'mark' after Mister's demise, and had a fight with one of them. I saw it. and went out shouting.(mainly at George - I didn't want a vet's bill). George obviously made his feelings felt - as did I.

Now, If I see one of next door's cats in my garden, I just have to turn the door handle - and they're off!!

I have a friend who lives in a 4th (top) floor flat.
He has French windows and a Juliet balcony, which he hangs bird feeders from.
He quite often has the French Windows and kitchen window open.
There's a robin who regularly flies in through the French windows and out the kitchen window!

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Mar 2017 22:37

When the backdoor stray cat comes in through the cat flap I have the door from the kitchen to the front room open when the weather is warm enough and I talk to it while it is eating.

I have had the window open when window sillcat comes along as well and have talked to it while it is eating.

I don't think Shadow, the cat flap cat will ever come in, he was born feral, but I am hopeful for the other one.

Meanwhile, I can't very well get a cat from the rescue centre because I already have these two coming round.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Mar 2017 23:01

He comes in the cat flap - that's quite good :-D

When a previous neighbour moved and left their cat, who was about 5.
The cat disappeared, then reappeared a year later - I saw it on the guinea pig hutch. Every day, at about five, it sat there.
I spent a week slowly leaving food for her, getting nearer every day. Eventually I managed to stroke her - and she bit me, so I knew it was Sophie! :-|
She also had the same bl**dy collar on, and a fur less neck because of it.

I started feeding her nearer and nearer the house (or more precisely, the cat flap).
I already had 2 cats - but they (and Sophie) never actually fought - they would wail, scream and postulate - but never fight.
Eventually, she came into the house, collar was removed - she was home! :-D
She, and the other two got on extremely well - all was peace an harmony, even when I looked after my daughter's dog.

A year later, her previous owners were in the area and heard I had Sophie, so they came around to 'see' her. I knew she was on my bed.
Normally she came when called - this time she didn't. I went up to get her - she'd disappeared!

After they'd gone, I found her in the back of the wardrobe, desperately hiding, and it took a lot of encouragement to get her out.

When she was about 15, it was a hot summer, and she reverted to 'straydom'.
spending most of her time outside in the garden.
I used to sit on the grass with her, and feed her out there.
By now the guinea pigs had died, so I put straw and blankets in the hutch for her to sleep on.
I knew she was dying, she knew she was dying.

The first rain we had, I went outside, to find her dead.

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Mar 2017 23:46

She didn't like rain then.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Mar 2017 00:22

:-D :-D :-D :-D

She liked the sun.