General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deadly secrets - the lost children of Dozier

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 4 Mar 2017 23:42

Following on from Mr. Magoo's post about the bodies found buried and their deaths concealed I watch the above named programme tonight.

The dedication of a team in the USA locating and DNA matching the bones of children who had no proper burials and no inquests whilst in the 'care' of the reform school.

It was both truly upsetting (what the boys suffered) and inspiring when a match was found.

I recommend this programme, find it on Sky catch up.

Sue

Dermot

Dermot Report 5 Mar 2017 07:26

The Commission of Investigation into the Tuam Mother and Baby home has discovered a significant number of human remains at the site.

The Commission, which was established following allegations about the deaths of 800 babies in Tuam, carried out a test excavation on the site in Galway today and found a significant number of remains in what appears to be an old sewage chamber.
In a statement on Friday, the commission were "shocked" at the discovery of the remains which were in the underground chamber.

The remains were discovered in two structures, the first of which appears to be an old septic tank which was filled in with rubble and soil. The other is a larger structure and split into 20 chambers, the purpose of which is not yet known for sure but appears to be related to sewage treatment.

Human remains were discovered in a large underground tank at St Mary's Mother and Baby Home, which operated between 1925 and 1961. The remains of babies and young children have been found in a septic tank at a former home for unmarried mothers run by Catholic nuns in the west of Ireland, where almost 800 bodies are thought to have been disposed of.

A commission set up to investigate alleged abuse at church-run mother-and-baby homes has been directing an excavation at the building in Tuam, near Galway, which was managed by the Bon Secours Sisters.

It said that it had discovered a “significant” amount of infant human remains in a large underground tank at the former home, which operated between 1925 and 1961. The tank was split into 20 chambers and remains were found in at least 17 of the compartments.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 5 Mar 2017 09:33

I wish I'd seen that programme, Sue. I shall certainly use catchup.

There are too many in this world who pretend and act religious. Their lack of empathy, goodness, willingness to help their fellow men, women and children, their cold heartedness, their murderous intent, their depravity and deceit ought not to be hidden by their capacity to get down on their knees or to lie prone.

Such dreadful actions betray their hypocrisy and utter contempt for their fellow human beings. Whether they wear religious clothing or not, if found guilty they should be named, shamed and imprisoned - and not kept in special units so no one can get to them.

I hope that they get the shock of their lives when they approach the pearly gates. The biggest shock for them, of course, will be that the gates exist, because this band of ne'er-do-wells are not true believers in anything but evil.