General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Mar 2017 00:46

My nephew (son of my sister) has got 'into' genealogy.
As a start, he had his DNA analysed.
He is 93.9 British and Irish - hardly surprising as I've traced most of my side back to 17th century English, and nephew's father's side were Kelly's and Murphy's.
However he's also 6.1% Italian :-S
Not sure which side of the family this may come from (apparently, many Irish have a smattering of Italian)

We don't know who my dad's dad was, which may be relevant, so nephew and I were thinking of clubbing together and getting one of my brothers a birthday present - a 'Y' chromosome DNA test :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Mar 2017 01:33

It's the Romans !!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Mar 2017 09:44

Never thought of that!! :-D :-D :-D

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 19 Mar 2017 10:38

maggiewinchester

If you are thinking of using ftDNA they usually have a Y sale for Fathers Day - sale is anticipated for 25th April {no confirmation yet !}

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Mar 2017 11:45

Thank you for that information, Elizabeth :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 19 Mar 2017 14:43

Tell your nephew to download his raw DNA info onto GEDmatch a free site that gives you greater scope to find relatives. You are not restricted to just those who have had their DNA analysed by one company.

It is easy to download to the site, just follow the instructions. :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Mar 2017 07:38

I think he may have already done that, Pat :-D