General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

American Ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 25 Mar 2017 20:51

Hi - I have discovered an American ancestor who I'm looking to find out more about. Don't want to subscribe to a paid site just yet in case I cant find anything about one individual. Anyone know any free US search sites?

Alan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Mar 2017 23:18

Welcome to the boards, Alan

Try https://familysearch.org/
Failing that, start a new thread with details on Find Ancestors and people with world wide subs to Ancestry.co.uk would be happy to have a look.

Most UK libraries have free access to Ancestry. Someone who has used it there would need to say if the US or worldwide records are available.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Mar 2017 10:48

The Library edition is similar or same as the world edition - well worth checking out your local library.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Mar 2017 12:45

Ancestry free in public libraries UK does not offer access beyond the British Isles.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Mar 2017 15:39

Rollo

My local library has the Ancestry Library edition - I have used it to look up a few US/Canadian records.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 27 Mar 2017 09:07

Our library has Worldwide Ancestry too

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Mar 2017 09:26

If Rollo is absolutely sure his local library doesn't offer WW, perhaps it's down to the individual local/county authorities?

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 27 Mar 2017 10:39

I work in a branch Library.
The Edition that we have definitely contains some World Wide records.

Will check exactly what it has when I go in later today

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Mar 2017 11:01

The "library edition" of Ancestry gives worldwide access to free FH databases with searchable indexes. Actual content variés. The lib édition, according to Ay, cannot be used to access trees Inc yr own.

As my family suffered chronic wunderlust pursuing their avaricious instincts I shelled out for Ay ww early on. I have found it good value but it would be much less so for just a few people.

A workaround is a 2 week free trial on Ay but you must cancel out by day 12 or you will be stung for a whole yr. Take the monthly option.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Mar 2017 14:45

I can't comment on the quality of the American records - but I mostly found what I needed. (My ancestors weren't very adventurous).

You CAN view peoples public trees but obviously it makes sense that you cannot amend your own tree when accessing Ancestry through a general login.