General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Change of name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

simone

simone Report 1 Apr 2017 16:09

Hi I wondered if anyone would know if when someone has their name changed as a child would there be a record I could search ? I have the birth Cert of this person but I'm thinking he goes by a different surname. Thank you

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Apr 2017 16:16

Do you mean surname , forename or possibly both?

If they were adopted, there is no link between GRO birth index and the adoption register.

Could they go by a step-parent's surname perhaps ?

simone

simone Report 1 Apr 2017 16:24

No its my biological fathers name, I think he goes by his step fathers surname ? I think I may have located him as the dob and middle name are the same, but I would like to check that I have the right person first before I waste anymore of my time

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Apr 2017 16:36

My dad was adopted aged 16 - so knew the name he was known by before adoption
He was born in 1926 - but appears he wasn't registered, as his name has been added to the bottom of the page! Any way, he was eventually registered as A B.
He was adopted in 1942, and was registered again - in 1942 - as AC.

So if you have an inkling of their change of name and when they were adopted it is possible to search.

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Apr 2017 16:59

Anything to do with this thread ?
?
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1365239

simone

simone Report 1 Apr 2017 17:28

Yes it is