General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Credits deducted to view items in my Keepsafe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dxhutch

dxhutch Report 15 Apr 2017 11:34

The system won't let me view some census items in my Keepsafe without deduction from my credits. These items have been in there a couple of years. I thought once you'd paid to view an item and save it to Keepsafe that was it - one off payment. I've written to the support team but don't know long they take to respond. I agreed to the deduction of 5 credit points to view one item in my Keepsafe without thinking as I had been viewing and paying for quite a few new additions recently. Any thoughts or suggestions?
regards
David

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2017 11:44

Welcome to the Boards, David.

Unfortunately bundles of credits, and the records you've used to them to view, are only valid for a set period.

50 credit bundle - 30 days
200 credit bundle - 90 days.

A lot of people make the same error. Those of us who are aware strongly suggest that images/records are saved to your own device.

Ancestry have free access this weekend. You could register for that and download the image to your computer.

If you can wait until Tuesday & can visit a library, most have free access to GR's sister site Findmypast & Ancestry. You could access records & save them to a memory stick.

The free site Familysearch.org had transcriptions of most census, if that helps?

dxhutch

dxhutch Report 15 Apr 2017 13:16

Gee whiz. Thanks for the tip. I thought you just had to use the credit within the timescale, not that the items saved to keepsafe would expire in that time. I've been downloading the actual images and printing transcripts to pdf latterly. Shame keepsafe can't handle pdf's. Thanks for taking the time to advise me. David

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2017 14:04

As least you have the originals; that was a good move :-)