General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

facebook

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Apr 2017 13:16

Is it working ok or has it gone down? I was halfway through creating an album of photos and it has just stopped downloading or doing anything.

Von

Von Report 16 Apr 2017 13:21

Happy Easter :-D <3

Seems fine Ann

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Apr 2017 13:29

It's been playing up for a few days

At one time it was virgin media who blocked their customers from Facebook with a glitch

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 16 Apr 2017 13:32

Same here been acting up yesterday and today.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Apr 2017 14:13

Change yr router dns settings to Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
You will suffer far less from misc glitches and Web pages will load faster as well - esp FBook.

Happy Easter

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Apr 2017 14:54

It solved itself when I shut it down and switched it on again. I am on VM so might have been that I suppose.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Apr 2017 16:48

I use Vm. their default setup is a mess esp D.N.S. Service ( which is what makes yr connection to Fb etc appear to hang) + wifi performance is terrible. They only allow the user v limited control of the router.

So get a proper independent router and use that instead. set the VM Router to what they call modem mode. Plug yr new router into it and off you go. No more tech support annoyances.

A dual band router vgc on eBay is £ 40 - 90 new about twice that.
Best budget router is Air Buffalo.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Apr 2017 16:57

Thanks Rollo I will tell my 'techie manager'!

Island

Island Report 16 Apr 2017 17:51

Oh good grief! Think of the shoes. ;-)

I find a restart works for me Ann

FB has been ok for a while but I have had the odd occasion (once?) when I wasn't able to upload photos to an album. In that instance I applied the 'stuffit' technique and tried again later. Saved me 40 -90 quid. :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Apr 2017 09:34

It's been "freezing" again this morning .I uploaded several copy documents to a site on there that I help doing look ups for and trying to view the documents to make sure I had added the right image it froze

Took some time to get out of a black screen and back to the posting

My aunt was a BHC and I belong to a group that has BHC ancestors

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Apr 2017 11:40

Virgin routers have some nasty security holes. If you are going to go on using it in router mode do this:
Power it off / on
Change router admin password from default (this is not the same thing as wifi setup)
Password should have at least one digit and one non alpha numeric character.

If yr smart phone supports 5Ghz wifi use that at home rather than 2.4Ghz the speed is much better esp if you have any solid walls.

Generally wifi routers are Not a sort of super modem but are small dedicated computers with Os, cpu, ram etc. Neglecting yr router will for sure cost performance and may leave you open to being hacked. BT is the only ISP providing a decent router right now.

Otoh if near enough is good enough

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Apr 2017 11:52

I facebook goes down, you could try looking here:

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/facebook

Could save faffing around - and money on something that won't work because of problems with the actual website rather than everyone's (apparently) stone age equipment ;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Apr 2017 12:11

Ignorance has many disguises all of them transparent.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Apr 2017 12:36

The only defence of the supercilious is to attempt to put others down before they're exposed.

Island

Island Report 17 Apr 2017 14:12

It's a larff though innit?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Apr 2017 14:22

As Mr T (from the 'A Team') once said

I got no time for the jibba jabba. :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Apr 2017 14:54

:-D