General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MP's not standing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Apr 2017 14:55

According to the popular British press; so what do they know; there are currently
12 Labour, 4 Tories 1 Lib Dem and 1 independant not standing at the next election.

If enough people don't stand maybe the newbies will bring some fresh air to the house no matter what party they follow.

Kense

Kense Report 21 Apr 2017 15:09

It was intended that the 2020 General Election would elect 50 fewer MPs, so many incumbents had resigned themselves to not standing next time. The newbies are most likely to be in constituencies that will no longer exist in 2022.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Apr 2017 16:36

They might have been considering their options for 2020 in any event. After all, people get 'burn out' or have more family resposibilites to assume, regardless of their occupation.
The snap election has just brought the decision forward.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Apr 2017 16:43

The trouble with Mp pay js that it is well short of what is needed for quality but highly attractive to idiots and union hacks. Few idiots plan to stand down.

Kense

Kense Report 22 Apr 2017 11:27

For those interested this article gives the current list of declared non-standers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39644473

Caroline

Caroline Report 22 Apr 2017 11:54

Thanks Kense

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Apr 2017 00:35

In my view, Tories under investigation for election overspending in the 2015 election shouldn't be allowed to stand.
This is potentially a criminal offence.
However, reading this:

https://www.parliament.uk/site-information/foi/foi-and-eir/commons-foi-disclosures/members-of-the-house-of-commons-and-members-staff/criminal-convictions/

I realise that it's easier to become an MP with a criminal conviction, than it is to become a bus driver!!

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2017 03:02

That's sheer madness !

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Apr 2017 09:33

The Tory MP's under investigation may be the real reason the Election was called.
If they're convicted, and imprisoned, May would no longer have a majority in the House of Commons, and there would have to be a change of Government - not an election - The Tories would be out.

So, call an election before the investigation is concluded, if they're convicted, she'd just need to have a few local elections to replace them.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Apr 2017 11:44

As long as Labour don't get into power as a result, but I think you are living in hope there.

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2017 12:45

I see Mr Corbyn made some "interesting" statements today.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Apr 2017 12:54

Hmm, not sure I mentioned anything about who I would expect to win - but assume all you like! :-D

I was just pointing out how the election is being called for corrupt purposes - or at least to cover corruption!
I'm sure many people will still believe the Tories only committed a 'minor' misdemeanor costing the taxpayer only a 'minor' amount of money and they shouldn't be punished for it - after all - surely, they're entitled to spend our money - they're 'in charge'..

However, if this overspending led to them winning more seats, their election win was through corruption.
If they hadn't won the 2015 election, there would have been no EU referendum etc etc

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2017 13:03

Let's be honest historically all parties have lied and will lie again this time. It's a shame they can't win by telling the truth and making promises they can actually afford.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Apr 2017 13:31

True, Caroline, but there's taking the p, and taking the P!!

They went beyond the lower case p!! :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Apr 2017 13:32

Not defending any of them.