General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Copy feature

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ro55box

Ro55box Report 22 Apr 2017 11:30

I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask but can anyone offer me advice on how the 'copy' feature should work?

I have tried to use the 'copy' feature on a relative's details from someone's tree .. but I cannot see how to paste it to my tree.

:-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Apr 2017 11:43

If it's to a genes tree then don't think you can copy and paste over

Ro55box

Ro55box Report 30 Apr 2017 01:22

Thanks,
So what is the purpose of the copy option?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Apr 2017 10:34

Welcome to the boards, Ross.

The copy function worked years ago, then the site was redesigned. It hasn't worked since. The feature was intended to allow you to copy a name from a tree you'd been given access to, and paste it onto your own tree.

Although we'd all advise you to take other people's research on advisement, you now have to manually transfer details. To make it easier, open Genes twice in different windows (not tabs) then your tree in one & the target tree in another. Resize both windows so you can see both trees at once. You can select 'stack' or 'side by side' by placing your curser on the bottom black edge of your PC or LT screen.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Apr 2017 11:15

Once you get beyond a few hundred names you will understand why most longtime Gr users keep their trees on Fmp or Ancestry. The once fun and ez Gr tree was broken years ago. Ancestry also has an excellent android app.

Ay allows controlled copying from trees you have access to but always verify the data yourself first.

Ro55box

Ro55box Report 30 Apr 2017 14:52

Many thanks for your helpful replies.

Can I assume that the Gencom export facilities in GRU work ok with any import facility Ay has .. so I don't have to retype all into Ay??

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Apr 2017 16:47

GR has various strange ideas about dates and use if lower/upper case.
Before importing make sure Os and Ay set for European date format.
Having imported to Ay check all data carefully.
Ay tends to assign UK cities with USA/Canada twins to the USA so check that too eg Boston, Lincs.
Good luck

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Apr 2017 16:59

People who have attempted to download a gedcom from GR have sometimes reported that it's left 'hanging'. Other people have said that they've had no problem from that aspect.

If that does happen to you, then you might need to waiting until Support get back into the office on Tuesday to reset for you.