General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Freedom hurrah!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Apr 2017 23:01

I'm so excited! At last I have a car of my own to use after a long time depending on o.h. using the bus for work and leaving me his car, although I do most of the driving when we go out together. He's just had a cataract removed and another to be done late in May.

We now have two Fiestas on the drive and as soon as I have taxed and insured it, I will be able to get out and about more. As with our current car, bought as a stopgap when o.h. wrote off the previous car, and still going strong, I found it on Gumtree, a little bargain aged 16 years, with only 48,000 miles on the clock, owned by a widow of 86 whose hubby bought it from new. She gave up driving after he died but kept the m.o.t. up each year and her grandson drove it occasionally. It's in excellent condition and I can't wait to use it.

Lizx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Apr 2017 23:07

good for you!

Enjoy it xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Apr 2017 23:23

I will, thanks, Sylvia. It's been a very trying time lately. O.h.'s father is still in a care home which has had a really stressful effect on o.h. He is on B12 and antid's now after suffering anxiety and panic attacks, and his memory is worse. At last he has spoken to his doctor so now has an mri scan booked, as well as an appointment at the memory clinic and physio for his dodgy knees.

Things can only get better lol

Lizxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Apr 2017 23:32

I bet it has been stressful for you!

Good that he has finally bitten the bullet and talked to the doctor.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Apr 2017 02:21

Sylvia, it's only taken nearly 2 yrs, lol I have had to take him to the hospital, 8 miles away, several times recently for eye assessments, blood tests, the cataract op, and more. The mri scan for some reason is being done 25 miles away at Cromer hospital, I am not sure why when our local hospital is a state of the art teaching hospital and he 's had scans there before, when he had a bleed on the brain.

I know he is nervous of the results but better to know if there are problems, and maybe medication can help. It will also prepare his sons perhaps, at the moment the one in N.Y. hasn't made contact for months and the one in Essex is telling his wife he doesn't love her anymore so things are in turmoil there and he won't call his dad as he 'doesn't want a lecture'!

Luckily, my son and his family seem to be plodding on ok in their new flat, altho he is looking for a better paid job. His fiancee's son will be 9 on Thursday so time for a new baby, I keep telling them lol

Lizxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Apr 2017 09:24

Enjoy your 'new' car Liz.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Apr 2017 09:50

Good news Liz.

Does this mean you will have a change in your sleep pattern to gain most benefit from your car?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Apr 2017 09:54

I am pleased I have my driving license

Passed the test nearly 45 plus years ago and did have my own car for a few years when I worked locally

After I retired I still ran it for a time. But a year later hubby retired and we didn't need two cars so mine as the cheaper one went . Gave it to my daughter as she gave her older one to grandaughter so we recycled

Hubby liked to drive when we went out and I had to fight sometimes on "I will drive. Need to keep my hand in "argument

Thank goodness I could take over when he had to stop driving and I had the car transferred to my name after he passed away

It a 2009 Ford Fiesta zetec 1500 diesel with now only 20000 miles on the clock
We brought it new and it's a nice car to drive . Got some blind spots as they all have and I often think I am parked straight only to get out to see it's a bit scew whiff

Family said are you going to buy a new car . I said nope why would I. ??? !!!!

Enjoy your freedom Liz

kandj

kandj Report 30 Apr 2017 12:21

Woo Hoo that is good news Liz and just soooo exciting for you. Safe travelling xx

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 30 Apr 2017 13:16

Great little cars and easy to park too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trsD9w3mClI

;-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Apr 2017 19:19

Thanks folks.

I am not sure about my sleep pattern Gwyn, o.h. doesn't sleep well and wakes me when I am in bed, when he wakes with panic atracks. It's better for me to relax in front of recorded programmes I have done and if he's really anxious he will come down for a chat. A lot of programmes I record are better watched alone, he tends to shout over things about refugees, asylum seekers, housebuilding, travelling etc etc and dislikes several presenters too so won't watch programmes they are in.

He can potter about downstairs when I sleep in the daytime, and keep himself distracted, or go to the shop or to visit his dad, so I get relatively undisturbed sleep.

I love the older style Fiestas, ours have been reliable, easy to drive, and it's amazing how much luggage I can pack inside for our trips to Derbyshire etc. The only thing I will miss in 'my' car is electric windows, having to remember to wind them down will be funny. Oh, and I will gave to dig out some cassette tapes, it doesn't have a cd player.

As you say, Mayfield, easy to park too. I actually don't like the new Fiestas.

Lizxx

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 30 Apr 2017 19:31

How lovely Liz...no stopping you now. The whole summer ahead of you as well, you will have to plan a Thelma & Louise type trip...no men allowed :-D :-D <3 <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Apr 2017 21:57

Oh yes, Ann, but without the ending! I hope to catch up with lots of local friends I haven't seen for a while.

I hope I can get away to Buckingham again to see my cousin, she's 80 now and I haven't been for ages, but I will be concerned leaving o.h. as he isn't good with eating when I am not around and being diabetic it's important he looks after himself better. While he is still anxious I can't go but maybe later this summer things will be easier for him. If I go to Buckingham I will visit our Les as he's not too far away from there and if anyone else is in the vicinity we can get together too.

I have to do the tax and insurance tomorrow on line and then I am away lol

Look out for a pale green Fiesta with a very smiley driver!

Lizxx

Annx

Annx Report 1 May 2017 21:55

Hope you enjoy your car Liz. It sounds like you got a good buy. It's great to have the freedom it gives. I had a vision problem last year and the doctor stopped me driving for a week till I'd been to the stroke clinic. (turned out to be a migraine!) Well, hubby said he would drive me anywhere I wanted to go. Great you would think, but it isn't the same as driving yourself about. He goes from A to B, whereas I pop to other places I suddenly think of on the way from A to B. I'll also drive back a different way to make it more interesting!! I felt like I was in a strait jacket that week and couldn't wait to get back in my own car! :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 May 2017 23:15

Ann, you are so right. Over the past few years when we have only had one car I have had to persuade o.h. to use the bus for work so that I could use the car it's those times that I have fitted in shopping and errands, and the odd visit to my son. I can't shop with o.h. easily as he gets stressed and as you say, doesn't want to deviate from the original planned route etc whilst I will scoot from place to place and fit things in to suit, as well as do errands for o.h

He used to cycle until he had an accident almost 4 years ago and lost his confidence to bike to work. Before that we had 2 cars for a while which was fine then he lost his licence for six months when he had a bleed on the brain so started cycling.

When he is on the 2-10pm shift I can catch up with friends or go late shopping, anything, it will be lovely, especially with the lighter evenings.

Lizxx