General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saved records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 2 May 2017 11:43

I have lots of saved records and tried to move them to my keepsake. Each one I click on says I need to pay 5 credits to view/move them. Why?

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 May 2017 12:17

from GR's FAQ, does this apply to how you viewed the records initially,ie by purchasing credits?

"If you are trying to view the same record within the 30 days validity of your credits (or 90 days if you bought 200 credits) you can look at it again at no extra charge. The word 'view' will be greyed out to indicate that you have already seen it. However, you can click on this to view it again."

"If you purchase pay per view credits, you will only have continual access to the images you've viewed for the validity of the credits. After that, you'll use credits to view them again."

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 May 2017 12:26

With Gr saved records expire fairly soon and you have to pay to see them again! Some people regard this as a S c a m. In any event save stuff off line to yr hard drive.

You willnot be able to create a tree with permanently attached records and inline images using Gr. Gr tree builder itself is of course free. You can get bmd records free 1837- from www.freebmd.org.uk and before that from familysearch and freereg.

Otherwise many people use Gr big brother FindMyPast or its chief rival A ncestry. Better features and non time limited views cost more that S the way it goes.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 2 May 2017 13:40

Thanks for the replies. I tried the free*** but I am trying to look at Scottish records, there didn't seem to be any. I am not prepared to pay again, this is not fair. :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 May 2017 14:29

Scottish bmds are only available from https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ It is a pay-per-view site.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 May 2017 14:49

Ancestry carry the searchable transcriptions of Scottish records but not the record images.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 May 2017 15:38

Scottish Census transcriptions to 1901 are also FMP and GR. Only Scotlandspeople has the 1911 and images for all census

It might be worth looking on the free site https://familysearch.org/ as they have a number of parish records and census transcriptions 1841-1891.