General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone else noticed this?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 May 2017 17:20

I spotted this information elsewhere ...............

WDYTYA live event will be no more

http://www.sog.org.uk/news/article/who-do-you-think-you-are-live-event-to-cease

NOTE:- also posted on Genealogy C and Find A

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 May 2017 17:58

Not surprised. It was 'exciting' when FH first became available on t'internet. Once you've been a couple of times, there's rarely anything new.
Despite some potentially interesting talks given by the main providers - some at an extra cost - it was a means to part you from your money.
I went at least 3 times, twice with LG curtesy of Carol & Ron the printers free draws. Hands were kept firmly in pockets to avoid going over budget.

One wonders if the move from London to Birmingham made any difference?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 3 May 2017 18:27

I'm not surprised either. Family history became a popular pastime with many with the advent of TV coverage and increasing things available on-line. Lots of these people have given up the hobby and the 'hard-core', many of whom began long before the internet and WDYTYA on TV, plough on in their own ways and don't really 'need' the live show. I went to the Birmingham show a couple of years ago and so many areas of the country were under-represented, in terms of stalls and info.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 3 May 2017 18:37

The tickets were a ridiculous price, plus they charged stall holders far too much.

Greed has killed it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 May 2017 18:57

I also wondered whether the cost and the move to Birmingham were the major factors.