General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Duplicates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 4 May 2017 12:36

I seem to have a couple of people in my tree twice. Once with one daughter and once with another daughter. Both daughters have spouses/family attached. How do I get rid of one of the sets of parents to bring them all "under the same umbrella"?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 May 2017 12:57

You just have to start at an outside leaf of the unwanted branch, delete it and work backwards. You cannot delete a leaf eiyh more than one connection. It can be tedious. Tree mgt in Gr is very rudimentary.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 4 May 2017 13:13

I have a couple of duplicated members of my tree
Because they married the odd cousin or two :-D

Or two brothers marring two sisters :-D :-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 May 2017 19:16

The cousin example is different though. The person only appears to be duplicated in that is appears more than once when you are viewing the tree.

Otherwise, as Rollo has said, you need to delete one of the branches from the bottom up and then re enter it back on the correct branch.

Alternatively, the Help pages do have some info on how to correct errors. For example:-

How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?

If you've made a mistake and added someone to the wrong parents and the correct parents are already entered in your tree, you can now amend this yourself.

Once you've located the right relation, click on the 'edit' tab below their name or on the little tab with two arrows in it on the top right hand side of the tree page to open the details box. Scroll down the details box on the right hand side of the page to the Relationships section. Click on the 'Change' tab beside one of the incorrect parents and a 'Find an existing relation' search box will appear. Start typing the name of the correct parent and it will appear below the search box. Click on the correct name and then on 'Save' to save the changes. Repeat the process for the other parent, again saving the changes.

Kense

Kense Report 5 May 2017 11:24

If one of the boxes has an icon (that looks like two sheets of paper) in the bottom right corner then that box is just an apparent duplication. No action should be taken in that case as deleting one may delete both.