General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Novel Idea

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 10 May 2017 14:32

After much thought and lack of motivation on my part I have taken the plunge into writing my debut novel. I was wondering if anybody else has done the same whether it be for fun or publication. My aim is for publication and I am already on the way with 22,500 words in.... Your opinions are welcome. :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 May 2017 14:43

I'm around the same word count, but have stalled partly due to health reasons, and other distractions. Don't get distracted!

There used to be a writers group on here, which was a spur to write, I found that helpful, you might find other groups on line, though it is not for everone.

Google "writing tips" or similar and lots of useful sites come up, or go to the library and see what they have on the specific genre as well as more general 'how to' books.
:-)

A few people from here have published books via Amazon, so that's worth looking into also.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 May 2017 14:57

a few members of GR have already done this - Victor Nokes for one - I proof read a few of his books and one of them is on Amazon

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 10 May 2017 15:18

I've been writing flash fiction for a while, enter a few competitions a year, and am trying to develop my writing 'style'. I have written a few longer short stories too, and have the plan of a novel mapped out but very little of it on paper as yet! Like Nyx says - try not to get distracted, and aim for a certain word count every day. Some people find that music helps, or envisaging your novel as a 'painting', with different colours for your chapters and characters.

Mark

Mark Report 10 May 2017 16:16

Thank you all for your input.

I am currently attempting to write/type 500 words a day.

I was in Liverpool the other day, which is not to far from where I live. I met the author Paula Hawkins, The Girl On The Train.