General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A new Desktop computer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 May 2017 12:24

Ours is running out of steam and will need to be replaced shortly.

We've rejected the idea of a Mac as there don't seem to be Mac compatible versions of the programmes we use for our hobbies.

Any suggestions from those who have made a recent purchase? We don't need a professional' grade model, but do need something that might last 10 years. Our current one is 14 years old.
Budget up to the high 100s.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 15 May 2017 14:35

I have had a Toshiba all in one with i5 processor for just over a year been very pleased with it.

Takes up very little desk space. ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 May 2017 15:18

Thanks for the suggestion - he seemed to be focussed on Hewlett Packard. It'll do him good to consider other makes

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 May 2017 15:27

Currys have on offer HP pavilion 570 £ 570 was ,£ 750.
It uses AMD A10 rather than intel and is very quick.
Recommended.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 May 2017 15:51

Thank you, Rollo

Apparently he is attracted to the idea of an all-in-one desk top, hence the original idea of a Mac.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 15 May 2017 16:01

I have a laptop with i3 and a desktop with i5 the boot up time with the i5 is certainly quicker.
If you can stretch to the i7 I reckon it would be worth it in the long term if you tend to keep your machine a long time.

Annx

Annx Report 15 May 2017 16:03

I was reluctant to change from my desk top PC when the screen packed up, but decided rather than get a new screen to go for a Toshiba wireless laptop. I'd used laptops before in my job but didn't think it would be as good. That was 2 years ago and I've been really pleased with it. It has the bonus I can take it in the garden or on holiday with me as it takes up so little space. Hubby also has a Toshiba and has had his longer than me.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 May 2017 16:46

Thank you Annx.
He had considered a laptop and connecting it to the current (or new) monitor but for some reason has gone off the idea.

Mayfield - will you get a commission from Toshiba? ;-) :-D
Its good to know you are really pleased with your purchase.

Annx

Annx Report 15 May 2017 22:01

Just to add........I hate swiping the pad on the laptop it's so hit and miss and slow and offputting, so bought a wireless mouse and it is just like using a desktop then. It just has a tiny connector you push into one of the ports, no wires and the connector only sticks out 1/4 inch so I leave it in all the time.