General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I do it then?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 May 2017 21:48

I am happy to change my name to Fred's Sharron so as to avoid confusion with somebody who would probably rather not be mistaken for me so I have been to my account details and tried to do so.

my board name does not even show in my details and when I put it in it says it is invalid. That is the one I have been using for twelve or so years (I used to use my surname but my membership lapsed for a few months about twelve years ago and was not able to use it when I rejoined).

Any other name I try is also invalid so it looks like I am unable to be called anything else unless there is another way to go about it.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 May 2017 22:01

I have just looked at my account and there is a box for Boardname. I wondered whether to change it to see if it worked, but didn't in case I couldn't change it back.

I seem to remember, some time ago, that someone else had this problem (was it Kuros?) and gave up trying.

Other people have managed it, so is it perhaps to do with how long you've been a member?

If no-one comes up with an answer, I would ask Genes support.

Good luck. :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 29 May 2017 22:07

You could try putting a full stop at the end or a few.

I had to put an underscore in my name to make it work.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 May 2017 23:02

you two Sharrons' are different by your Avatars, so I wouldn't be too upset, Sharron...

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 May 2017 23:28

Oh yes, of course, I am s**t cart Sharron.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 May 2017 23:57

:-D :-D :-D
I thought it was just a lorry - I'd forgotten about it's specifics :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 30 May 2017 13:42

How about The Gorgeous Sharron ? :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 May 2017 13:45

Ah but which Sharron would be the gorgeous one ? :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2017 13:47

It would have to be the other one because I am the one and only Shot Cart Sharron!

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 May 2017 14:08

:-D :-D

Robert

Robert Report 30 May 2017 14:21

Or the Old Biddy??

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 30 May 2017 14:22

Noo, Sharron.

Give it a shot and you'll be forever looked on as a gorgeous one. :-D :-D :-D

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 1 Jun 2017 15:31

Or the Cog Sharron :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 1 Jun 2017 15:34

I just went into my account and saw the box for board name, and tried changing it to caps (just in case I lost it all together ) and it worked

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Jun 2017 15:57

But, then again, why not let the other one take the flak for my misdemeanours?

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Jun 2017 16:23

Like your way of thinking there Sharron....

Annx

Annx Report 1 Jun 2017 17:33

You could start all your messages with a <3 Sharron or any of the emojis depending on your mood for the day!! :-D Then we would know it was you.......emoji Sharron.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Jun 2017 18:03

There is only one shirt cart picture.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Jun 2017 18:23

Thank goodness :-D