General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills & Probate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 11 Jun 2017 10:51

Hello, I have just been on Wills & Probate on Ancestry & I found my dad on the list, & there was an amount not exceeding £125000, does that mean how much money he had when he died? I know he died without leaving a will, I had not seen him for years so I do not know what money he had. But I am puzzled by the not exceeding £125000 amount
Thanks
Angie

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Jun 2017 11:14

By father's said similar - not exceeding etc. I dealt with his will and it wasn't about his actual money as there wasn't a huge amount in the bank account. It was mainly the assumed price of the house he left to mum as it was in his name. Mum's was similar and again it really referred to the property. It can of course refer to money left but I would suggest in most cases it's the property.

In my father's case most money was in insurances and that wasn't counted, my mother was named as beneficiary.

Hope this helps

:-)

Angela

Angela Report 11 Jun 2017 11:18

Hi, there was also an amount underneath which said did not exceed £100000as well

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 11 Jun 2017 11:26

You can purchase a copy of the document online here......

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

They cost £10 each - you can pay by debit or credit card.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jun 2017 11:31

The Grant of Probate (or Letters of Administration) permits the Executors to dispose of the assets.
In your case the first figure would be the expected value & the second would be what was actually realised.

A slightly different scenario, but it gives you an insight
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5157132

Angela

Angela Report 11 Jun 2017 11:36

Many thanks for your help

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jun 2017 11:57

It could be that 125000 was the inheritance tax threshold at the time and his estate didn't exceed that figure

The best way is to apply for a copy of the will .it costs £10 and takes about two weeks for the probate service to make it available to view and download online

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jun 2017 12:43

Angela said in her op he didn't leave a will, even if he did, it is unlikely to be much help as most just say who is to benefit and in what share.

My Mum's probate says
Gross value does not exceed £325,000 (The IHT limit, not what she actually left)
and net value does not exceed £xxx (The actual amount left after paying debts, funeral etc.)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jun 2017 18:48

Oh yes. I forgot she said there was no will

But still think it was the inheritance threshold at that time

Annx

Annx Report 11 Jun 2017 20:56

My father died in 1979 without a will. Probate shows a figure, but would this be for his half of the house and half of any other assets as my mother was still alive or for the whole house as PatinCyprus said? Everything was in his name.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 12 Jun 2017 07:59

I just went to the site that Miss Holly provided. I have Thomas' will but I wanted to see how it worked so I put him in and..................................... nothing :-| I guess he didn't leave one after all and the one I have must be a forgery.

greyghost

greyghost Report 12 Jun 2017 11:52

May just mean that it didn't need to go to probate.

Try googling "why, or when, is probate required"

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Jun 2017 12:01

RMS, that sounds unlikely. It is possible that nobody bothered to apply for probate, but the site isn't perfect. I know this because my mother-in-law, died 1999, left a will, OH was the executor, probate was granted at Carlisle, but it isn't listed. I keep meaning to ask them why, but haven't got round to it.

Assuming he died after 1856, in England/Wales, would you like to give us his surname and date of death and someone else can have a look for you.