General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I wonder why it is that ..............

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jul 2017 01:24

.... I can open GR mid to late afternoon UK time, and open My Threads with no problem at all

BUT if I open GR midnight or later, I cannot open My Threads??????

I just get that darned ERROR message.

It's been happening for about the last 2 weeks, every single night

grrrrrrrrrr :-P :-P :-P :-P

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2017 07:48

It's not as if they are doing any updates is it? ;-)

Kense

Kense Report 4 Jul 2017 08:12

Perhaps Brightsolid do server backups and or maintenance after midnight, thus increasing response times. Anyone with a large number of threads may find the timeout is exceeded before the thread information is retrieved so the error message occurs.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Jul 2017 10:01

I find if I'm on a genealogy site late evening it goes slow and I usually shut down then and say to myself - America's just come on line. I've always thought of late evening as Americas time and usually avoid it to stop the waiting and error notices.

It may be a combination of what's already been said and the number on line. We also get problems at times here as our broadband gets strangled locally. Have you tried looking at local sites to see all is well locally?

:-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jul 2017 18:29

Ken ...............

I doubt Brightsolid is doing backups and/or maintenance every night, but even if they are, why have I only had problems for the last couple of weeks??? Plus FMP is fine ;-)

Pat .............. that could be one reason, although as above, why has it been so bad only for the last couple of weeks?

We're not broadband ................. and every other site is fine, including FMP FB, ancestry, the UK papers I check, local sites, etc etc

and it is only opening My Threads ................. I can open the individual Boards with no problem

Kense

Kense Report 4 Jul 2017 19:23

As I understand it Brightsolid provides the IT infrastructure for the DC Thomson Group, so I would hope hey back up data regularly.

The My Threads facility seems to be the first to suffer when resources are reduced. I believe there is some timeout which causes the error message if the processing is not completed in time. Those with large numbers of posts to their credit are the most vulnerable.

The process involves getting the time of the last posting on each of your threads and sorting them on that time. If the sorting is not done efficiently the time taken can be proportional to the square of the number of threads

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Jul 2017 19:52

OK ..............

Ken ........ that does sound feasible :-(