General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For those of you interested in seeing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 11 Jul 2017 18:44

This is a picture looking across town at the moment. All the smoke from the forest fires settle in the valley. Yesterday the trees in the middle of the picture wasn't showing either. There is also an army camp over there somewhere. There is one nice thing, It does make the air smell like a campfire.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j465/Lindathe3rd/IMG_0022_zpsumeg91jb.jpg

The grass is brown and so dry that if it catches fire there would be no way of stopping it, by yourself. Two months ago we were flooding now we need the rain and we don't get it :-| :-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jul 2017 18:58

Not a happy time for you, not only for those directly affected, but also for those with breathing problems.
Thank you for sharing and stay safe.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jul 2017 19:49

RMS ........

I wondered how you were doing .................

the area is that under so much fire is where we used to spend much of our time when we had the cabin .......... 100 M House was our nearest town, we used to stay in a friend's motel in Cache Creek, etc etc

it's so devastating!

Like you, I can't believe that we had all that rain and snow through to the end of May, followed by the flooding.

3 weeks of hot dry sun, and we get the worst fires for years.

It's unbelievable :-(

BTW ............ it's also dry down here on the coast, but nothing like where you are or the Cariboo-Chilcotin :-(

Von

Von Report 11 Jul 2017 20:08

Just looked at the photos of the fire. Thinking of everyone involved <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 11 Jul 2017 23:22

How awful, Shy, hope you stay safe and some rain falls soon

Lizxx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 11 Jul 2017 23:22

How awful, Shy, hope you stay safe and some rain falls soon

Lizxx

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 12 Jul 2017 05:46

Do hope they can put the fires out soon must be quite scary <3

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 12 Jul 2017 07:28

Scary . Nope we laugh in the face of danger! Ha Ha Ha :-D We are also good at running and laughing at the same time.

Seriously, it is scary but the fires are quite a bit away from us.

Our neighbours have a cabin near 100 Mile House, and the other neighbour his elderly father lives in Prince George.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Jul 2017 09:23

Just looked at the map - it's horrendous.

Take care <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jul 2017 17:21

RMS .............

well hopefully PG is safe ............. heavens knows where they'd be evacuated to :-S

One road west to the coast, one road east to Alberta (and there are fires along that route), and a poor-ish road north. The road south is closed because of the fire danger. Otherwise, lots of small gravel roads, logging roads, etc.

Is your neighbour's cabin in the evacuation area? The one we had was about 60 km north-east, almost at the western edge of Wells Gray NP, it's currently about 12 km beyond the evacuation alert area.

The residents evacuated from 100 Mile House were told last nigh that they will be out for at least another 7 days.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jul 2017 17:40

I talk to my sister in Chilliwack every Sunday on messenger. She was saying how they got flooded a few weeks ago but now they want rain

She can see the smoke from fires and they look every day for updates

She lost her hubby on the 5th June and they had a celebration of life on the 24th

They had problems keeping the food ok as it was 33plus and the hall was so hot even though all the doors and windows were open

They just need some rain now

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Jul 2017 18:28

There are bad fires all over western USA and Canada. To some extent they are a part of natural renewal but the last ten years has gone well beyond that.

We have a half share of a house in the Colorado Rockies and once again nibbling our fingernails as several fires remain out of control. After the coming winter season guess we'll sell up.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 12 Jul 2017 18:29

Well, we can see half way across town today, must mean the wind has shifted. Not sure if that is good or not. good for the view but not for the fires I think. Been hearing planes flying over, maybe their using our lake water for the fire? Awful long way to fly it though and it would be heavy.

Didn't realize you wouldn't go south, oh dear

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jul 2017 19:45

well, they have to take Highway 97 south from PG to Cache Creek where it becomes Highway 1 south or east to Kamloops, the other major evacuation centre .........

........... Highway 97 is closed from north of Quesnel to Williams Lake, then around 100 Mile House and north of Cache Creek, and Highway 1 is closed from Cache Creek south to Ashcroft, and east to Logan Lake.

The people evacuated from 100 M had to go east along Highway 24 to Little Fort, then north up Highway 5 to McBride, and then west on Highway 16 (The Yellowhead) to PG ................ up to 12 hours instead of about 5 hours. Or they could turn south at Little Fort and go down to Kamloops.

BUT LIttle Fort is now under threat from 3 fires in the mountains close to town.

We have distant Welsh rellies of OH's visiting BC at the moment ............. they went to the Island last Sunday, and tomorrow or Friday they come back to the mainland, visit cousins in Chilliwack, then over to other cousins in Lumby in the north Okanagan. Those cousins have apparently planned a wine tour down around the Oliver area.

We've sent the visitors a text message to keep a watch on road closures and DriveBC

I don't think they will be going into any danger, but they will certainly meet road closures.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jul 2017 19:51

Rollo ..................

hope your house is safe

The really weird thing is that all the areas where fires are raging from BC, California and Colorado have always been subject to wild fires, but usually in August and September.

These areas all had very heavy rain and snow falls right up to May or June, with major flooding. California had torrential downpours after 10 years of drought.

Then there has been a very short but very hot period of weather ............... lush growth after the rains dried out very quickly and fires spread like mad.

The very sad thing is that most of the current fires in BC were started by dry lightening strikes ................. but several fires a couple of weeks ago were human caused.

I have heard that human action is suspected in the very bad fires in southern California. Not heard anything about the Colorado fires.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Jul 2017 20:14

Boulder Fire Dept are blaming careless campers.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jul 2017 20:18

Unfortunately, that is all too common ...................

lighting a campfire illegally, not watching it

not making sure the campfire is totally out before leaving

using an ATV with sparks and/or hot under carriage in dry conditions

cigarette smoking

I've also heard all those reasons for fires starting in Europe ........... so it is not just N Americans that are stupid!

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 12 Jul 2017 20:56

Hey, the mountains are beginning to show though, just like Brigadoon. :-D and the sun is shining and it's getting hot again. :-(

It is usually human caused. Throwing your cigarette out your car window and driving away is the 'favorite' one to do.

Lumby is a nice little town, not that far from here.

Allan

Allan Report 12 Jul 2017 22:16

Human stupidity is not just confined to North America :-(

Many Australian bushfires are started by humans either deliberately or by carelessness/thoughtlessness, particularly visitors from urban areas. :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jul 2017 00:20

Stupidity and carelessness must be world wide :-(

RMS .............. I thought you weren't far away. We met the father of the person living there now back in about 1970 or so when OH's mother wanted to visit with her relation (cousin, I think), but we didn't keep up the contact.

I do remember it was a nice little town.