General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not all over yet then

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Jul 2017 14:50

It is a lovely day and I should be in a seafront pub in Bognor. OH is driving the village mini-bus today and has taken a group of people from the pensioners club of another village to a pub we have used and liked. It has a lovely seafront view and ample roadside parking with reasonable meters just outside, in fact, I think we may even have a pre-paid disc.

I was going to drive over there and meet him for lunch as I have done in other places that were further afield and less familiar.

That was until the mad woman stepped back into my head while I was in the bath. Panic like you would not believe, about the parking FGS!

I suppose I must still be patient, I am getting better. I drove part of the journey to Newcastle AND I can use the kettle again sometimes! For some reason that must make sense but jut not to me, I have not been able to use the kettle or he tumble dryer and have a bit of a problem still with the washing machine but they are passing.

It would be handy if Half Way Sensible Sharron had some idea when Totally Illogical Sharron might be planning to visit.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 17 Jul 2017 15:36

She will again soon I am sure Sharron. Just take your time :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Jul 2017 15:58

Damned inconvenient!

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Jul 2017 15:59

Be positive as you are trying to be....it's baby steps in the right direction that's the main thing.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 17 Jul 2017 23:14

Hmmmm let me see if I can help:

Kettle - the hot steam can burn
dryer - you can get dizzy if you get in
washer - you can drown if you fall in

there now you know why you are afraid of this things :-D so there is only one solution -

Kettle - stand wayyy back
dryer - don't get in
washer - don't fall in

:-D :-D <3 <3 <3 <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Jul 2017 23:15

It's a shame you missed out on catching up with the others Sharron but don't beat yourself up over the blip. You will make plenty more journeys without the panic, I the future.

Shy, those are very good reasons and solutions lol

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jul 2017 00:15

Parking is a pain in the *rse - and I don't drive!! :-\

Look on it as trying to get from 'A' to 'B' on public transport - a pain, but with enough research can be done!!

Having said that, I went to Chichester by train on Sunday.
I actually took a taxi to the station - and the bustard went the long way.
No tip for him.
Bought the train ticket, boarded the train.
Got to Cosham - someone had been killed on the Chichester line.
Everyone confused - do we stay or do we go?

Eventually told to stay on the train until Havant - buses would be available.
Arrive at Fratton - told to get off.
Remember the Havant bus link - first train to Havant - cancelled.
Garbled message about buses - we all go out the front to wait for bus.
Man comes out - no, buses from Havant - 'But Havant train cancelled'
Man ' Only 1 train to Havant cancelled - rest may be okay' (note the word 'may')
Back to platform.
Havant train arrives (over half an hour after we'd arrived).
All get on. Arrive at Chichester over half an hour later.
That's over an hour later than we should have arrived.
Plus side - everyone talking to each other - mainly 'What on earth is going on?
'Have you heard a different message to me?' 'How did you interpret that message?'

I could have stayed in bed an extra hour, caught the next train and had a clear run :-| :-| :-| :-|

Parking - after that - you can do it - in your own time :-D :-D :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jul 2017 09:27

it will take time Sharron

Last Tuesday i had a dental appointment for a fitting for my new teeth.
I parked up in the local library public car park and was walking to the dentist when out the blue there was a guy bombing along on a mobility scooter
I did a double take as the guy had grey hair showing under his cap and was wearing a similar jacket to one of hubbies (maybe he had shopped at the charity shop where i donated hubbies clothes??)

It shook me and i stopped . took a big gulp and then my eyes welled up. took me a few mins to compose myself before I could continue .

These things do catch you at times <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Jul 2017 11:06

Maggie, why would you want to go to Chichester anyway?!

Thanks to everybody, I am still a bit wobbly this morning but I am sure I will survive.

None of this has really been about grief although I can understand how you felt , Shirley. It is more about everything that has been held in over my life finally erupting. It is about dealing with the permanent feeling of being overwhelmed by things I needed to do, which is diminishing now. Too many things to deal with at once and I just can't hack that. It is why I don't drive the village mini-bus although I have in the past. I can do the driving bit, no trouble, but I can't deal with the step and the wheelchair lift and the paperwork, such as it is.

Anyway, my deep inner mind evidently decided that parking a Smart twenty yards from where I was going and putting some coins in a meter were going to be too much for me to deal with so it sent me into a flat spin. Ah well.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jul 2017 12:27

It was the first time I'd been to Chichester.
I went to there for a cream tea and cake on a barge with my younger daughter! :-D :-D :-D
We had a lovely hour and a half trip down the canal - and I go a lift home :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Jul 2017 12:49

Oh yes, the canal. Been there, done that.

You know when you go to Donnington and turn round? Well, the view you get of the cathedral going back is the one that Turner painted.

We did the Christmas trip the Christmas before last and once took Fred on the boat.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jul 2017 14:22

...similar view to the one Constable did of Salisbury Cathedral :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jul 2017 14:42

It's not grief Sharron but all tied up to your childhood and the wonderful care you gave to your dad

You did a wonderful job looking after him and encouraging him to get out with his mate and to his lunch club
The care they need we do but it does take its toll

You did a great job looking after your dad but it took its toll on you so you now have to find your way back
I have emense admiration for you

<3

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Jul 2017 14:56

Leave it alone,Shirley. I don't remember doing anything admirable at all. You just do what you are given to do.

I am really not looking for praise, just telling it like it is. As I recall, you were caring for the man you loved who was suffering from dementia and you never caved.

All the parts of my life I was able to discuss have dealt with fairly adequately, it is the parts before that nobody wanted to know about that are healing now.

I have no doubt that episodes like yesterday are just my mind telling me I am not ready.

It is all fine by me but I really do hate having to inconvenience other people so much.

Thinking of the way I treated my old dad, I sometimes watch the enrichment they do on Monkey Business and it does all look very familiar.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jul 2017 15:48

But we do what we do cos they need us

We don't need to ask why .they are our family who we love no matter what

Dont put your care of your dad as just needed doing

I loved my hubby to the end of earth and back so making the decisions I needed to make was for him

You encouraged your dad all along the way and he had good life far beyond what' was predicted. It did take its toll on you and you need to give yourself a break and find yourself agian

I may not have the words but I do understand

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 18 Jul 2017 16:24

Maggi, Sharron, If i was on the canal when you had your trips i could of told what in was like back in 1944 to 1960ish. My grand-parents lived in one of the cottages by the basin.

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Jul 2017 16:33

When Perce Harding had his scrapyard going and the Railway Tavern was open.