General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cats and getting wet

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jul 2017 21:12

We had the inevitable thunderstorm this evening.
Betty 'toughed it out' until the 4th bout of thunder - then she retreated upstairs, under my bed.
I couldn't find George anywhere.
Opened both front and back doors, called him, whistled, banged food bowls - nothing. :-(
The water gathered around the front and back doorsteps - it was about 2 inches deep at one point. The rain eased off, then came back with a vengeance.
After about an hour, it eased to a mere 'trickle' - well, stair rods..
I heard the cat flap gently bang - in came George - tail held high, water dripping off him - he went straight for his food like a cat possessed.
Once he'd finished eating - both his and Betty's food, I tried to dry him - he was so wet, I made only a small difference, but he was a very happy cat! :-D :-D

Methinks he enjoyed the rain, and the drop in temperature/humidity.
To give him his due, once he'd eaten his full, he didn't rush upstairs to settle on my bed (and inevitably soak it), he sat downstairs on the floorboards, not the rug, and gave himself a thorough wash/dry. :-D :-D :-D

Betty is still under my bed :-(

David

David Report 19 Jul 2017 08:54

My wife has 4, Izzy, Alfie, Fluffy and Scruffy'

They each have different attitudes toward the weather and are ruined :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jul 2017 13:45

I have to lock my cat Mr Tibbs out of the bedrooms because he is a scratcher.

Having bought new furniture I don't want it damaged because he has a fascination for scratching doors and drawers to open them

He came back in quite early at 11.15 pm and i thought great I can go to bed cos he gets me up around 5.30am

I woke up around 2.30am to the thunder and then the lightening.. being awake then I needed the bathroom . Mr Tiibbs wasn't around so went downstairs cos I was sure he was in,

He was sound asleep in his bed in the lounge .he wasn't bothered by anything and he came up at 6am to scratch and whine at the bedroom door to get me up

David

David Report 19 Jul 2017 13:53

My wife's cats are scratchers. Back of the settee and corner of the bed. Got used to it.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jul 2017 14:15

I have to have the back door rubber seals replaced on Friday. He has managed to rip the seal scratching to come in .i have had to put bubble wrap with tape around the frame cos it's ripped away

The installers are going to add some trim to the frame to hopefully stop him getting the new seal again

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jul 2017 15:15

I'm pretty lucky. George uses fence posts etc outside for scratching but Betty scratches one arm of the chair - and a wicker chair.
She's on her second wicker chair - not bad for 11 years! :-D
I have a spare upstairs - bought them for about a tenner each at an IKEA sale :-D :-D :-D

Jane

Jane Report 19 Jul 2017 16:22

I think my cat Thomas seems to sense rain on the way as he is normally in just before it arrives. He might just get a little sprinkling on his coat,but we have a very thick hedge he shelters in if he can't get back in time. I do the banging of the dish and the rattle of the box of Cat Biscuits and he will then do a real good sprint LOL
As for Scratching ,he will sometimes have a go on the carpet but he has a scratch thing ,(like a half hoop) that he will have a good old go on and then sit on top :-)
I must investigate the back of the sofas and see if there is any damage there !!. Part of the wall paper by the back door is in shreds :-S :-S. But as long as that is the only place he goes for on the walls then I am happy with that :-D
Love cats
:-D :-D ;-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jul 2017 17:02

Tibbs has a scratch post and the lounger half hoop thingy that he can lay on but also scratch

He gives both a good scratch but still has a fascination for door and drawer openings

Guess I should feel lucky he doesn't scratch the leather lounge suite