General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

USA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 22 Jul 2017 14:16

Hi, just a quick question, does Genes Reunited have American people on it or does it just cover Great Britain.
Regards Sue

Iris

Iris Report 22 Jul 2017 14:26

susan ,
I think the members are worldwide , if that is what you are asking .iris

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Jul 2017 14:38

A few years ago in their dog days BrightSolid planned a Us version of Gru complete with USA census. They even released a free beta. All things American are now a distant memory save that you can join free from the US and pay for access to the England and Wales census.

Susan

Susan Report 22 Jul 2017 15:54

Thanks for the help.
I have a pic of a relative who I believe is my gr gr gr grandmother, it was taken in Philadelphia.
I have a copy of 1880 us census showing her living with her daughter.
I'm sure I must have family members over there

Inky1

Inky1 Report 22 Jul 2017 15:57

Findmypast.com (related company) has plenty of data for North America. eg
Census:-
"Complete records from the United States, 1790-1940"
Newspaper records:-
"Millions of pages of historical US & World Newspapers"
"Our US & World newspaper collections provide access to nearly 120 million pages from newspapers published in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., Panama, and the Virgin Islands. Titles include a variety of local papers, as well as national publications, including the New York Times and the Washington Post.
Global historical newspapers from China, Denmark, France, Germany, Jamaica, and South Africa are also searchable within the collection.
To see a full list of newspaper titles included, select "By Publication" from the filters on the left. Additional newspapers will be added to the collection over time. "

Ancestry also has a lot of data from over there. Though I don't think it has the newspapers.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jul 2017 16:09

you need worldwide subs on Ancestry to access those records too

Susan

Susan Report 22 Jul 2017 20:55

Thanks Shirley, will give it a go.
I found some info on family search, but still struggling
Thanks again

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jul 2017 21:15

Members on here have American connections, so it might be worth searchng member trees .........

just go to Search at the top right, click on Search All Member Trees

Then enter your ancestor's name.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Jul 2017 10:10

Many of us have WW Ancestry subs. Although it's more satisfying to find records for yourself, we're more than willing to look on your behalf.

Please bear in mind that BM&D records in the US, where they exist during this period, are held by the State and many have not been released