General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problem with the tele

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 25 Jul 2017 19:46

We regularly, (several times a week) get a message on the television screen telling us that updates are available. We have the option of pressing "exit", to ignore, or "OK" to update. The message fills the middle of the screen until we do one or the other. If we exit, it gets more persistant, sometimes flashing up every few minutes. The local TV shop found a way to stop this, but after a couple of weeks it started again . Any ideas? (My wife is swearing at it as I type)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 25 Jul 2017 19:59

this is freeview, I presume, telling you that broadcast information has changed?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jul 2017 20:44

Depends on yr setup. sky/Virgin/TalkTalk TV boxes are actually Linux boxes and will update from time to time. If you power them off they will update automatucally otherwise you will get a message. Some Freeserve boxes likewise.

Usual reasons program guide update, apps eg iplayer,. Security , block hackers.

Some fairly recent Tvs have apps and such onboard and may also desire an update.

Just as with updates to regular computers now and again the updates go wrong and even brick the TV or TV box. Virgin is quite good at the latter.

There are "hidden" service screens and menus details of which are widely available in the usual places. Good luck.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Jul 2017 21:16

Without knowing what it is that is offering to update in your particular case it is difficult if not impossible to offer any sensible suggestions.

As Rollo has indicated there can be several reasons why you are getting such a message.

Assuming you are using Freeview, the most common reason you get such a message is because the EPG (Program guide) has been updated in which case you need to accept the update else some programs will no longer be available to you.

Was you local TV shop not able to tell you the source of the message?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 27 Jul 2017 00:48

We get that too. I just exit and all seems well. It only happens occasionally.

Lizx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Jul 2017 00:57

After a local storm, my Freeview was all over the place. :-|
I had no BBC 2 or 4, and every other channel was all over the place, so decided to 'upgrade' - and it was sorted! :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 27 Jul 2017 01:02

sooner, or later you have to do the deed.............re scan or update....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Jul 2017 15:39

So true, Bob.
We (or I) just have to remind myself it isn't the PC, it Won't upgrade the TV to Windows 10 :-D :-D
I was a wee bit worried that channels I'd deleted would reappear - and I wouldn't remember how to delete them again :-(
...but they stayed deleted :-D